Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
phiaramos
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Phia Ramos

Changing Replica VM name and IP address

Post by phiaramos »

Hi, so currently we are replicating few VMs from our source host going to the target. We tried enabling the Re-IP Rule, and putting new IP address to the replication job config. Unfortunately it didn't work, the replica VM's IP add is still the same as the original VM, so what we did is to manually change the IP address on the replica VM itself, aside from this we are also planning to change the VM name.

My question is, if the replication job do it's incremental/succeeding run, will the new IP address that we have configured on the replica VM will remain? Or will it be returned back to the same IP as the source/original VM? Same with the VM name, what will happen if we change it then run an incremental for replication?
Thanks! :)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Changing Replica VM name and IP address

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if Re-IP failed with Windows, then please open a support case to check why it failed.

The replica VM that exists right now (as a snapshot) will be overwritten soon (depending on your schedule) with the source data again.

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Phia, replica re-IP rules are applied to the replica VM upon failover. Have you tried to failover or are you checking the address on the turned-off replica VM?
phiaramos
Enthusiast

Post by phiaramos »

Hi Hannes & Foggy,

Thanks for your response. We haven't yet tried the failover with the replicas, we are just checking it on the VMware VM settings if the IP has changed. Most of the VMs we replicated are on Linux.

But with regards to our current setup now, since we already changed the IP address manually on the replica VM. What will happen if we re-run the replication job for incremental? Thanks!!
phiaramos
Enthusiast

Post by phiaramos »

Hi, I'm okay with the Re-IP concern, seems that the VM has been return to its original IP same as the source when we re-run the replication job. My other question is, how to we set Re-IP rules for LInux VMs? Because I've read on the help center that it is only applicable for Windows.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Phia

Yes, replication overwrites any manual changes on the replica. A replica has always the same content as the original vm after a replica job was run.

Windows can use re-ip feature, veeam manipulates the registry when starting up a replica vm to do that. Linux doesn‘t have a registry.

For Linux, you must do it manually or use a script. I can find some prebuilt scripts using google. You can try them.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
phiaramos
Enthusiast

Post by phiaramos »

Hi Mildur,

Thanks for that info. My next set of questions will be,
1. Since the Re-IP Rules is only working for Windows, and applied on the Replica Failover. If I use Undo Failover for Replica VM, will the Re-IP rule be discarded? I will need to Failback if I want to finalized this settings?

2. When I Failback to original VM, the state of the IP addresses will be = original VM is with its original IP address, and replica VM with its new IP address using the Re-IP rule?

3. When I re-run the replication job for incremental, Re-IP rules/IP addresses will remain on state as my number 2 question.

4. Will not be a question, but can I request for the link of prebuilt scripts for Linux?

Thanks a lot for the help! :)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

1. Since the Re-IP Rules is only working for Windows, and applied on the Replica Failover. If I use Undo Failover for Replica VM, will the Re-IP rule be discarded? I will need to Failback if I want to finalized this setting
Undo failover will failover back to the original vm without replicating any changes back to to the original vm. Veeam will also discard all changes from the replica vm and reset it back to the latest replication state.
- All re-ip configurations will be lost in the replica vm
- The original vm will have it‘s original ip
When I Failback to original VM, the state of the IP addresses will be = original VM is with its original IP address, and replica VM with its new IP address using the Re-IP rule?
Failback will replicate all changes from the replica back to the original vm.
- Windows VMs will get back there original IP, if you failback to the original location
- Linux VMs will have the new modified IP, you need to change them back by yourself
- The replica VM (windows and linux) will have again the original address, until you do the next failover.
3. When I re-run the replication job for incremental, Re-IP rules/IP addresses will remain on state as my number 2 question.
When you run an incremental replication, the replica vms will have again the exact state of the original vms. With all the data and original ip address.
Re-IP can only be done when doing a failover to a replica. Not before. Remember, any changes will be overwritten in a replica run by the state of the original vm.
4. Will not be a question, but can I request for the link of prebuilt scripts for Linux?
Here am some links. Veeam cannot take any responsibility or support this script. Use a test vm to see if they work :)
After a failback, make sure that you reconfigure the ip address for the original linux vm. It will not get changed back by veeam.

https://huttenga.net/blog/2018/04/re-ip ... lover-plan
https://www.teimouri.net/veeam-backup-r ... -linux-vm/
https://www.cragdoo.co.uk/2013/05/10/ve ... -failover/
phiaramos
Enthusiast

Post by phiaramos »

Thanks a bunch Mildur!
For my last question (hopefully) where should we upload and test the script, is it on the replication job or on the failover plan?
Again, thank you! :)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome :)

The script needs to be running from insite the vm after the replica VM has started up.
Veeam doesn't run the script for you, so you can't use Replica Job Script Feature to do that.
Veeam doesn't have a Failover script option.