Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
derekmerritt
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Derek Merritt

Changing Veeam service accounts

Post by derekmerritt »

Howdy,

New Veeam customer/administrator here. On Friday I installed B&R for the first time, and during the install wizard, I selected to run Veeam services using the local system account. Now, I want to change it to an AD service account I have created specifically to be used for Veeam services. I looked through the console hoping to find a way to change the account there, but didn't find a place to change the account. So I figure I need to use the Services snap-in for Windows and change all the Veeam services to use this new account.

Is my understanding correct? The new account is in the local admins group on the Veeam server, and I have also given it the permissions needed in SQL as well.

I searched the forum and didn't find the answer.

Thanks,
Derek
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Changing Veeam service accounts

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Hi, Derek

Your understanding is correct.

Please note however that you may potentially encounter some issues when not using the local system account. One problem I remember is an issue with VMware VDDK running under any account other than local system... unfortunately it's been a while, so I don't remember all the details - but I do remember this affected a number of users at the time, which actually forced us to default to running our services under local system back a few versions ago.

Thanks!
derekmerritt
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Derek Merritt

Post by derekmerritt »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the reply. We are also relatively new to VMware and are not currently using VDDK to manipulate VMs. Is this something used by Veeam for doing backups/restores of VMware VMs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, VDDK is the VMware SDK that enables backup vendors to implement VM backup and restore.