Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Clegg
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Cloud Backups to Azure moving 3x as much data as the source.

Post by Clegg »

Hello,

I am using the Veeam cloud edition backup to Azure. I am using the cloud edition to backup a 560GB backup file to the cloud. I have had two instances now of the backup crashing (I believe I had the chunk size too high) and I reset the chunk down to 10MB and restarted it. It has been running for 9 days now, and has uploaded almost 1TB of data to Azure, but sits at 55% and increments only a few percent a day. My upload bandwidth is 10Mbit, and there is no reason this should be taking so long.

Here is the errors I have received a couple times before:

Looking at IP transfer logs on my router for this VM that is running the upload, I can see the upload is consistent every day

Here is the view from in Veeam cloud backup:
Its been sitting at ~ 2 days prediction since it hit 50% a couple days ago.

Now I help design solutions for customers around the cloud and was looking to recommend Veeam Cloud Edition for backup to Azure... but as of now, its been over a month and I have yet to actually get a successful backup, while uploading something close to 4TB of data so far in that time.

I know this is the Cloudberry tool rebranded as Veeam, but since this is branded as Veeam I am coming here to get some insight into what is going on.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Cloud Backups to Azure moving 3x as much data as the sou

Post by Gostev »

Hi, please also include Veeam support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
Clegg
Novice

Post by Clegg »

I haven't opened a support case around this yet, I was looking to see if anyone here had any knowledge around this before I spent the time on that. Seems kind of redundant to post here if I already opened a support case :)

I'll submit one tomorrow when I get some time.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

The behavior is certainly unexpected, and I have not seen similar issues reported before... but it is impossible to say anything from the screenshots alone, or based on what router sees coming from VM. We will need to see the logs for an actual amount of data sent by the backup process. Thanks.
Clegg
Novice

Post by Clegg »

Case ID: 00638377

Just submitted the case and uploaded the logs.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Post by collinp »

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having fairly slow upload speeds as well (30MB/sec) and we have a 10gb connection to AWS. What I am seeing is that Veeam Cloud edition is writing constantly to c:\windows\temp various CB* files. Most servers only have 2 drives in a RAID-1 for the OS C:\ partition that Veeam Cloud is writing metadata to. So disk utilization is 100% on my C drive which I think is affecting upload speed. I asked in the ticket (Case # 00644655) if there is a registry setting or config file where I can change this target folder to another location - to a partition with more and faster drives.