Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Cloud Connect Repository - Single Item Restore

Post by mongie »

Hello,

I'm sure this is answered somewhere else, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm thinking about using Veeam Cloud Connect at one of our sites. My question is this - If we need to do a single file restore, or and exchange item restore from the cloud repository, is there a component in the "cloud" that mounts the remote backup file for single item extraction? or do we need to effectively restore the VBK to the local site before we can extract the single items?

Thanks,
Alex
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Cloud Connect Repository - Single Item Restore

Post by veremin »

There is no such a component. But be aware that the whole backup file is not extracted, but rather mounted to a tenant's server. The speed of this operation will depend on connection speed. Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Cloud Connect Repository - Single Item Restore

Post by dellock6 »

Uhm, Vladimir answer may sounds like a no, so let me explain it differently.
There is a component indeed in the service provider installation of Cloud Connect, and it's the "magic sauce" that helps in doing single items restores from the remote repository running at the service provider. So indeed you will not need to download the entire VBK file, but you will only downloads the requested items. That's one of the main design principles of Cloud Connect especially compared to sync&share solutions that manage VBKs like simple files.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1