Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guido-vc
Novice
Liked: never

Cloud connect vCloud sub tenant

Post by guido-vc »

I want to create a new sub tenant of the type vCloud Director according to the instructions on https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

All our regular users in vCloud Director have SAML authentication and therefore have 2 factor authentication. This is a security requirement. The Veeam SP manual wants me to create an account in vCD directly or through LDAP. This accounts will not have 2 factor authentication for it is not SAML authentication. Is there an other way to create the account that Veeam will use in vCloud Director? Is there a better, more secure way vCloud Director and Veeam can interact with eachother?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Cloud connect vCloud sub tenant

Post by Gostev »

Such use cases require classic "service accounts". These are always excluded from 2FA, as it is an interactive process by definition, so it can only by used by humans. I don't know how you can make a service account "more secure" aside of usual stuff (long password, not using it anywhere else). Do you have some ideas?
guido-vc
Novice

Post by guido-vc »

I thought maybe it would be possible to change the requirements on the account slightly. The account now has the role of Organization administrator. Can we use a different role with a different set of permissions? Maybe an account with less permissions than the role organization administrator?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Subtenant accounts do not require organization administrator role (actually, it's the opposite):
To create a subtenant account, the SP can use any vCD organization user account that is not granted administrative rights in the organization.
Or you are talking about tenant account?

Thanks!
guido-vc
Novice

Post by guido-vc »

I am talking about the user in the Organization in vCloud Director.
I have created a new role. I have only assigned the following permissions to the role:
General: Administrator Control
General: Administrator View
Group / User: View
I have not assigned any other permissions. I have assigned the new role to the existing user in vCloud Director. Our customer has performed tests. When they create a new VM on their vCenter the vm is not replicated to us. The message in vCenter is: The operation is not allowed in the current state.
Am I doing something wrong?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Based on the description, it's not that clear what actions you are performing and what actual issue you are facing, so kindly reach our support team for further investigation. Thanks!