Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JKring
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joakim Kring

Cloud Storage and GFS

Post by JKring »

Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to set up GFS for our customers.
Until recently we only had customers needing 30 day retention but now some of them wants much longer retention and we are looking into GFS.

Current standard setup is that we install Veeam B&R locally on the customers server with cloud storage in our datacenter and a daily backup job.
When I try to setup a backup copy job for GFS I get an error that I can't use the same repository for both jobs.

Am I correct in the assumption that to use GFS I first hast to run a backup job to local storage at the customes location and them do a backup copy job to store GFS in the cloud repository?
Or is it possible to setup a copy job i our data center for data in the repository?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Cloud Storage and GFS

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Joakim, it is possible to do both ways, just use another repository as a target for backup copy jobs. It might be the same location, just another folder.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Wondering what you meant by cloud repository: object storage or repository enabled by Service Provider of your choice. Thanks!
JKring
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joakim Kring

Post by JKring »

Think I got it to work now (fingers crossed)

I set up a secondary repository at our site.
At the customers servers i rescanned the Service Provider and it picked up the new repository.
When creating a new Backup Copy job I chose the secondary repository as storage and selected to do a direct copy from source to target repository.

I will let it run now for the rest of the week and hope there are no warnings.