Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Cold Backupserver (Standby)

Post by mcdaniels »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I am thinking about the following situation:
We got hit by a crytotrojan. Lets assume, that the backup-server veem is running on is also hit and not useable anymore. As the backupfiles are on an offline-offsite NAS, I have to make these backupfiles recoverable as fast as possible. So I would need a full installation of veeam B&R.

My solution would be:
Set up a simple server (perhaps not on bare metal / perhaps on a vm?), with veeam backup and replication on it. The server stays offline and powered down, until the scenario, which I described above hit us. In case of the disaster, I power up the cold-backupserver and the offsite NAS and recover the backupfiles from it.

My questions:
Will I need an additional license for Veeam B&R for this (for the 2nd cold-backupserver)?
What if the version of Veeam B&R differs? Lets say the cold-backupserver has got an older B&R installed. The files were backed up with a newer version of B&R? Will this be a problem?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Cold Backupserver (Standby)

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Veeam only charges for backup. Restore is free - even with community edition :-) You can also install your production license if all restore features are needed (community edition is limited in some scenarios)

The backup server at DR should be the same version or higher than your production VBR

Best regards,
Hannes
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi Hannes,

another short question. Is it possible to install Veeam B&R (Coldbackupserver) on a machine, running windows 10 professional?
SAFA_IT
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: David Thomson

Post by SAFA_IT » 2 people like this post

There is a post on the forum about Windows 10 titled 'Windows 10 vs Windows Server'.

I have a setup with a cold Veeam server - I keep the server updated when production Veeam is updated, but you could just download a new copy when required.

One important thing to mention is you need a current configuration backup - you might want to copy this to your NAS after the backup run is completed.