Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bucoops
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Richard

Community version - updates?

Post by bucoops »

Good Afternoon, I use the "full fat" version of Veeam B&R at work, and have a standard version at home which I've had for a number of years. But I only have 4 VMs that need backing up, and it looks to me that i would be fine with the community version. But Veeam's Renewals department is telling there aren't updates to this edition? Surely it will change to V10 when the other licences do?

Thanks
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Community version - updates?

Post by wishr »

Hi Richard,

Just to clarify, what license do you have currently installed in your home environment - CE or Standard?

Thanks
bucoops
Enthusiast

Post by bucoops »

Hi, Standard, Basic Support. I'm looking to change to CE if possible. Of course the licence we use at work (Enterprise Plus) will continue as-is.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi

All upcoming versions of the product will be available in Community Edition. Thanks!
bucoops
Enthusiast

Post by bucoops »

Great thank you - will there be any issues with me downgrading to a CE licence? I'm probably jinxing it, but I've never needed to open a support ticket for my home licence and funds are a bit tight to keep renewing the support :(

wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

In this case, you will need to renew your existing maintenance license or remove your current license in favor of CE. No, there are no issues downgrading - simply remove your existing license (you will not be able to install it back after upgrade to v10, though). Please also keep in mind that CE is not exactly the same as Standard - for example, you cannot utilize Cloud Connect capabilities with CE.

A few additional notes:
Technical support for CE users is limited and is based on staff availability. With CE you are not eligible for hotfixes and patches, but you can still get minor updates and major releases. In order to complement this, we recently introduced the Starter version that is a logical upgrade for CE users - it includes Basic support program and allows protecting 2x more workloads than CE.

I hope it helps!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

bucoops wrote: Oct 28, 2019 3:48 pmBut Veeam's Renewals department is telling there aren't updates to this edition?
What they mean is that you will not have access to hotfixes and patches.
Instead, you'll be limited to periodic product releases posted on the web site.

See Support Policy, at the beginning of page 6.

Thanks!