Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Complaint about move off SQL

Post by ejenner »

I did not see the problem when upgrading an existing SQL based version 11 up to Version 12. That was smooth.

However, I came across the scenario where I wanted to migrate Veeam from one server to another and the previous server happened to be running v11 so it made sense to bring it up to v12 at the same time.

The installation process has been changed so Veeam no longer supports SQL Express installations in the sense that if you want to use SQL Express you're on your own.

In the past the installation and configuration of SQL Express was scripted within the setup process installing all the required components and setting up the database correctly.

Without this support built into the setup I ended up having to install SQL Management Studio to make changes to the SQL Express installation so the Veeam setup could be completed as I did not configure the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account to have dbcreate rights on the SQL Express installation.

Not being an SQL expert I thought about all the other possible options other than installing Management Studio but in the end I felt with 'uninstall' processes always leaving debris I may well end up wasting a lot of time trying to perform reinstallations. I also was concerned that the default component selections in the Microsoft SQL Express install process would include unnecessary components (or maybe not enough).

I think even if Veeam want to move away from supporting SQL Express there should be a hella lot more support for customers to migrate.

I may well have chosen to go with Postgre if the dialogue in the setup included a section on converting an old SQL configuration file to the new Postgre type. Just anything which could reassure me that during the process the database side of installing Veeam would be taken care of.
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Re: Complaint about move off SQL

Post by JaySt »

why did you not go with Postgre? The installer never included a configuration restore procedure, not even in the MSSQL era, so it's allways a post-install procedure. Restoring the configuration after installing v12 (that would also have installed postgre), would convert it for you. it's all pretty well documented t.b.h.
Veeam Certified Engineer
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
there are no plans to drop SQL (express) support.

Best regards,
Hannes
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

JaySt wrote: May 04, 2023 7:10 am why did you not go with Postgre? The installer never included a configuration restore procedure, not even in the MSSQL era, so it's allways a post-install procedure. Restoring the configuration after installing v12 (that would also have installed postgre), would convert it for you. it's all pretty well documented t.b.h.
It happened the way it did for the reason I explained. I had a v11 SQL Express implementation on another server. I assumed if I wanted to bring this installation up on another server I would have to continue with SQL.

All that's required is some information in the setup to say "we recommend postgre SQL, SQL Express users can import configuration files after setup completes and they will convert to Postgre"

If I had seen a line like that then I would have accepted the defaults and not gotten into the same mess.

This is the point of R&D forums as I understand it. i.e. to improve the product. I realise not everybody is as stupid as me... but for those who are, and those who are even less intelligent it would be a good idea to help us out a bit.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

HannesK wrote: May 04, 2023 7:13 am Hello,
there are no plans to drop SQL (express) support.

Best regards,
Hannes
Support hasn't been dropped. The installation no longer automates SQL Express setup. It has been replaced with postgre. If you choose SQL as your DB the setup program anticipates that you have already configured everything about SQL yourself before you started the Veeam setup. In the past there was no choice of DB so it would automate the installation of SQL Express unless you had a full SQL installation, then you would specify the details so Veeam knew which SQL DB to use.