TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Compression Levels

Post by TrevorBell »

Gostev,

Might aswell aim this at you :)

I have started to backup with Optimal compression but found i might aswell use Best. At present i have a 440gig VBK file, im just curious how will things change now i have selected Best ? WIll i see over time the compression back down to 190gig like i did previously when using Best ? Im not sure the process if the VBK will be deleted and a newer one made because im swappign compression ?

thanks

Trev
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Compression Levels

Post by Gostev »

Trevor, changing compression of existing job will not have any effect on the existing VBK file size, you need to re-create the job with new compression level in order to see the difference... check out this blog post, he ran into this as well: http://breathalize.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... 4-smaller/

Optimal compression is optimized for least CPU load (designed to be used by service console agent that runs in ESX service console and compresses network traffic). This compression level shows good results only when your virtual disks has white spaces or a lot of easily compressable content. So switching to Best compression is good idea in many cases - we are actually planning some changes around the default compression level in Veeam Backup 4.0.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Compression Levels

Post by TrevorBell »

thanks for that i was late when i madea new job and forgot to select best.

thanks as always

Trev