Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

concurrent tasks for VCC

Post by backupquestions »

Our VCC provider starts you at at 2 concurrent tasks max for uploading to their repo with my backup copy job.

My question is....

I can see that my internet bandwidth (which is pretty good at 1gpbs) is being mostly utilized at most of the time on these two tasks, but I have a lot of VMs and disks to process. So the total amount of data to transfer should only take say 3 hours, but yet it might take 10 or 11 in total.

My theory is that if I have them increase my tasks to say 4, that at least the "reading/processing" locally can be sped up, and the actual upload is still queued or shared across tasks so that I might be a reduction in time it takes for the job to complete each day.

Is this correct? Or am I better off sticking with only two concurrent tasks on their repo set by them since the internet bandwidth and processing rates align already?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: concurrent tasks for VCC

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm a little bit confused. You say that our 1gbit link is running at max speed already but the data should transfer faster?

In general, more tasks make it faster. But if the link is already saturated, I don't see a benefit.

Best regards,
Hannes
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

What I mean is, if you look at the flat amount of data that needs to be transferred it would take x hours. But veeam has to read the disks and decide what to transfer right? I wondered if adding more tasks would let it build up a queue so it already knows what needs to go instead of waiting for task slots to open up.

The bandwidth is being maxed out though yes.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

But veeam has to read the disks and decide what to transfer right?
yes, and probably merge operations on the destination.

as said: in general, more tasks = more performance