Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Configuration Backup - Warning Skipping credentials backup because the encryption is disabled

Post by PariPari »

Hello,

we have multiple small Veeam Installations where the Configuration Backup is enabled. Since v11 (i think) the Configuration Backup produces a warning and the email is irritating for most customers.
We dont want to include the credentials in the configuration Backup. Is there a way to supress this beeing labeled as a "warning" for the Configuration Job? Maybe a registry key?

regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Configuration Backup - Warning Skipping credentials backup because the encryption is disabled

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Yes, however please do note that encrypting your configuration backup is a recommended best practice.

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Key "ConfigurationBackupSuppressEncryptionWarning", DWORD, value "1"
/Cheers!
JTT
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JTT

[MERGED] Warning Skipping credentials backup because the encryption is disabled - disable alert?

Post by JTT »

Is it even possible to disable email alert "Warning Skipping credentials backup because the encryption is disabled"?
The credentials are stored anyways in a secure place.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Configuration Backup - Warning Skipping credentials backup because the encryption is disabled

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
please see the answer above. Forum search had the answer ;-)

Best regards,
Hannes
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: -

Post by 33minutesinheaven »

So the instructions are a bit unclear. Are we skipping the warning about it not backing up? or will it perform the backup successfully with the above registry key set?

I just upgraded to 11 and receive this message daily now. Why would i want to complicate a DR scenario by requiring passwords that who knows what they are in an emergency? You cant seem to set a blank password for this. This should be my choice. We are talking about community edition for backing up my photos. i want them as easily accessible to future people or myself as possible. I realize that credentials dont really matter in that case but they COULD. so you should at least give people the option damn...

it does say that "last successful backup was today" so i guess it is doing it, despite the dire warning that it is not. But actually i cant tell, because that error message does say its skipping it. Job log says completed successfully... If you guys are going to change things, please at least get the error wording more clear. Does this "SKIP" the credentials backup, or not? then how could my job complete successfully and not be incomplete?

and what does it mean by "complicate the restore process significantly"? like you wont be able to access the backup files on a completely restored sevrer? that probably requires more than a gentile warning to change something so significant...
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Hi 33minutesinheaven,

I think take a moment and re-read the User Guide entry on this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

The idea is that without encrypting the configuration backup, the other passwords you use in Veeam (encryption passwords, infrastructure item passwords, etc) would not be included; so instead of having to remember and recall one password (the Configuration Backup password), now you have N passwords to remember and recall, where N is however many passwords you have in Veeam.

I think the warning and the page is pretty clear on what's going on personally. The Credentials added to Veeam are not included in the Configuration Backup; your configuration is there, but you need to re-enter passwords.
TinchoB
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin B

Post by TinchoB »

Hello, I´ve a very simple question. The Configuration Backup includes (by default) the credentials used by VEEAM to connect to proxys, respository servers, vcenter, as well the ones used by VEEAM to interact with the virtual machines for application aware processing ? Or Is it necessary to enable Configuration Backup encryption to include them ?
Thanks !!
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Or Is it necessary to enable Configuration Backup encryption to include them
yes.
SirAndrew
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andres Tosini

Post by SirAndrew »

Hello, i have a problem deactivating this warning. I put the registry key and it keeps appearing. Rebooting the vm solves the problem?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

rebooting or restarting the Veeam Backup Service is the first step, yes.

if that does not work, please check with support and post the Veeam support case number
mweissen13
Enthusiast
Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Michael Weissenbacher

Post by mweissen13 »

33minutesinheaven wrote: Oct 09, 2021 7:35 pm it does say that "last successful backup was today" so i guess it is doing it, despite the dire warning that it is not. But actually i cant tell, because that error message does say its skipping it. Job log says completed successfully... If you guys are going to change things, please at least get the error wording more clear. Does this "SKIP" the credentials backup, or not? then how could my job complete successfully and not be incomplete?
I am 99% sure this means that:
- the configuration backup itself is working
- it just skips backing up the credentials (so you must re-enter all credentials after a restore)

I have no problem with the wording.

IMO it's pretty smart from Veeam that it wont back up credentials without protecting them with encryption. You can never know who gets their hands on the backup and they would contain ALL PASSWORDS in PLAIN TEXT if they weren't protected by encryption.