Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 47 times

Configuring Linux Hardened Repository into Scale Out Backup Repository (SOBR)?

Post by albertwt »

Hi Everyone,

Using the latest edition of Veeam Backup v11 with my existing Enterprise license.

I need some help and guidance in deploying the new Linux Hardened backup repository.
Is there any specific version or Linux Distros to choose?

After the build, would it be possible to add the Linux Hardened Repository into Scale Out Backup Repository (SOBR) ?

As I cannot find it in this link: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Thank you in advance.
Case #04800142
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Configuring Linux Hardened Repository into Scale Out Backup Repository (SOBR)?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
in the past I only posted it as last sentence. Now as first sentence: please open cases for technical issues. Please use the forums for how-to / best practice questions. I asked support (again) to close the case.

The Linux distribution is irrelevant as long as extended attributes and chattr is supported https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I also added your question to the FAQ: post402811.html#p402811

This whitepaper covers more questions (just in case): https://www.veeam.com/wp-guide-protect- ... ckups.html

Best regards,
Hannes
albertwt
Veteran

Re: Configuring Linux Hardened Repository into Scale Out Backup Repository (SOBR)?

Post by albertwt »

That's great, thanks, Hannes.

I was just following the header when posting new thread to include Support Case ID:
Post a new topic
POSTING AN ERROR OR TECHNICAL ISSUE?
You must include Veeam support case ID, or your post will be removed
--
HannesK
Product Manager

yes, it's great in general if authors read that :-)
POSTING AN ERROR OR TECHNICAL ISSUE?
that's the main point. It's about error / technical issues. How-to / best practices, sharing experience etc. is fine without case number. :-)
albertwt
Veteran

Post by albertwt »

Hi @HannesK.

I'd like to know about the Linux Hardened Repository, hopefully, you can clarify it here:

1. Does the new Linux Hardened Repository deployed as VM can reuse the existing Backup LUNs presented by my Storage array as NTFS? or do I have to format the LUN with extFS or XFS?

2. Can we assume the Linux distro that is deployed as Hardened Repository is acting as Control Plane to the actual LUNs where the Veeam backup is kept? Hence it must be stable and cannot be replaced by anything when broken.

Thanks in advance.
--
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 2 people like this post

Hello,
1. It makes little sense to me to deploy a hardened repository as a VM. If an attacker has access to your VBR server, then he probably has full admin permissions (because many customers work with too high permissions for VCenter) on VCenter and can just delete the VM. A Linux machine must have a Linux filesystem of course. XFS is recommended because of block cloning, yes.

2. I'm not sure what you mean. It's just a normal Linux machine. Nothing special. If a LUN is broken, well, then it's a bad situation :-). If the server (physical recommended) breaks, then it's "just a server". The data is still fine and can be re-used with a new server. Same like with any other Veeam repository. Please see the whitepaper I linked earlier about how it works in the background.

Best regards,
Hannes
albertwt
Veteran

Post by albertwt »

Hi @HannesK,

That means my existing Veeam Backup repository that is all in NTFS LUNs cannot be used by the Linux VM Hardened repository.
I wonder if you have any suggestion or idea to convert the existing NTFS LUNSs into XFS so that they can be used or managed by Linux as Hardened Repo?
--
HannesK
Product Manager

of course not. :-) (you can do the common repository migration, but that's not what you ask for as far as I see)

Even if there was a way, I wouldn't trust it. It just makes zero sense to me to try converting file systems between different operating systems.
albertwt
Veteran

Post by albertwt »

Hi @HannesK,

Yes, that does make sense.
I assume that I can follow the steps to migrate it after both have been added as SOBR?
http://www.vbrain.info/2016/11/21/veeam ... ositories/

Is that the supported way to go, which means I must have another spare repository as XFS ?
--
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

probably it works as we didn't change anything in that area since many years

I prefer the result of searching for "Veeam kb migrate repository" which bring me to https://www.veeam.com/kb1729