Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
blacks4
Novice
Liked: never

connecting backup server and Data Domain to fibre switches

Post by blacks4 »

Hi all,

Due to lack of available ports on our fibre channel switches, I configured our Veeam backup solution as follows:

network > 4Gbps Ethernet (4 aggregated 1Gbps) > physical Veeam backup server > direct fibre connection > EMC Data Domain 620

Now there are a few available FC switch ports. Do I need to connect both the Veeam backup server and the DD620 to the switch, or just the DD620?

Thanks a lot.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: connecting backup server and Data Domain to fibre switch

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Do I need to connect both the Veeam backup server and the DD620 to the switch, or just the DD620?
Please refer to the article:
helpcenter wrote:If you connect to EMC Data Domain over Fibre Channel, you must explicitly define the gateway server to communicate with the EMC Data Domain storage appliance. As a gateway server, you must use a Microsoft Windows server that is added to Veeam Backup & Replication and has access to the EMC Data Domain storage appliance over Fibre Channel.
So, if your VBR holds the role of a gateway server then you don't have to connect your Veeam server to FC switch (if not already connected). If you prefer some other Windows server to take the role of a gateway then that gateway server has to be present in FC network and have a FC acces to your DD.

Thank you.