Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
WashRinseRepeat
Novice
Liked: never

Consolidate VM snapshots during or after quick migrate?

Post by WashRinseRepeat »

Hi,
I have a VM that is in instant recovery mode and I started the quick migration process (no vMotion enabled). When I looked up the machine in my vSphere Client it said 'virtual machine disk consolidation needed' and I also received a Warning email from Veeam that 'all stuck VM snapshot consolidation attempts have failed' and I should perform the consolidation manually. The quick migration process is still continuing and now I'm unsure if I need to start the consolidation process before veeam finishes up the quick migration or if the quick migration will still succeed despite the warning?

My concern is also that starting the consolidation process will stress the source datastore (from which the instant recovered VM is currently running) even more.

I am unsure on how to best proceed. Advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Consolidate VM snapshots during or after quick migrate?

Post by veremin »

If I were you, I'd let Quick Migration finish its activities and only then consolidate the existing snapshots. Thanks.
WashRinseRepeat
Novice

Ok, thanks for the answer. I was simply unsure if it could complete its work while unconsolidated snapshots still existed.
If everything burns down I'll open a ticket :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The best strategy, indeed. Kindly, keep us updated on the results of your findings. Thanks.
WashRinseRepeat
Novice

Hi,
I waited for quite a while and everything went normally. Later in the process Veeam started to consolidate the snapshots which failed a few times but ultimately completed. Unfortunately now veeam couldn't delete the temporary VM and start the new one, so the VM is still running off of the backup datastore. I have no idea on how to complete the migration.
(Basically I have a seemingly completely migrated VM named EX01 and the temporary VM names EX01_migrate. The latter is the one still running).
Any quick solution or should I open a ticket?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As to me, it'd be better to open a ticket and let support team investigate it directly. Thanks.