Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Alarmist
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Emanuel Dieter

Convert backup copy to regular backup job

Post by Alarmist »

Hi,

Is it possible to convert or import a backup copy to a normal backup job? Veeam B & R 9.5 U4.

I have 2 Synology NASs that are ext4, but I want to use btrfs. I reformatted one and I want to move my backups there so I can change the other one. Snapshots of some of my VMs can have a big impact on my SAN, so I thought maybe I can move the backup without taking a whole new backup by using a copy job. Then I would need to make the copy my primary backup.

Thanks!

Also, if I add a secondary destination to an existing job, will it copy the entire thing as soon as it's scheduled?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Convert backup copy to regular backup job

Post by foggy »

Hi Emanuel, currently, you cannot map a primary backup job to backup files produced by a backup copy job. But in your scenario (provided I understand it right), I would just copy backups using some external methods and then re-map the backup jobs to the new repositories. Thanks!
Alarmist
Novice

Post by Alarmist »

Thanks Foggy,

I can copy backup files to the new location, but can I use those files for another job instead of changing the target on the job that made them? That way I can keep taking the original backup while I verify everything is good with the new one.
Alarmist
Novice

Post by Alarmist »

Further research leads me to believe this isn't possible. I can just change the original job like Foggy suggested.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What made you think so? You can map another job to the existing backup chain, no issue with that.