Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

copy Job terminated - who cleans corrupted files?

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

i have a copy job which was terminated because it ran into allowed time window. Now there are some incomplete/useless VM backupfiles in my folders. Is Veeam cleaning these files later or have i to do it manually.
The incomplete files are 1 week old. The Job runs also weekly on Tuesday (today).

Thanks,
Hans
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: copy Job terminated - who cleans corrupted files?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Hans

What files are you seeing? On which version of Veeam Backup & Replication?
Normally the next session of a copy job (periodic) will continue to transfer the rest of the backup data. Incomplete backup files do contain part of the backup chain. Before you start deleting anything manually, I suggest you open a case with our customer support team to check the restore point and backup files on disk.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

Version is 12.0.0.1420 P20230718

yes, i dont want to delete files manually, Iam afraid of damaging the backupchain.

The incomplete files belong to really big VMs, the restorepoint in Veeam has a red exclamation mark.
The incomplete files are vbk files, so i asume these are fullbackups.

Iam surprised, the job is running at this moment and is copying vib files, so i think these are incrementell backups. i expected that veeam starts again with a full backup.

Thanks,
Hans
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Hans

Yes, please don't delete it.
The copy job was interrupted by your copy window. Which means, the initial copy was not completed successfully. Missing data will be copied to a new VIB file until the initial full backup has finished successfully. This may take some time for a large VM if you only allow the initial copy to run in a small copy window.
To summarize: incompleted VBK + all incompleted VIBs + first completed VIB = your initial full backup copy

The retention policy will take care of this "incompleted" backup files. When the restore point inside this backup files can be deleted, all incomplete backup files will be removed.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software