Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
timm
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Cook

Copy Jobs - Best Configuration?

Post by timm »

Hello Veeam community,

We are trying to find the best solution for our current workplace in copying our backups between our primary and secondary locations.
There is two sites we will be operating Veeam from, our primary site and our secondary site for VM backups and DR purposes. The Primary site consist of two Veeam servers Server1 and Server2 the server Server1 is our primary repository for capturing all backups and keeping 29 Restore points. The second server Server2 contains additional storage and is attached to a Tape Library for our air gap where we write all our backups to tape each week.

Our secondary site also has it's own veeam server Server3 which will perform backups for the servers running at the site and hold the files copied from Server1 then written to tape for long term retention.

The primary server has several Backup Copy Jobs that run after each backup is taken and is currently sent to our DR site with the idea to write to tape for long term retention, held for 12 months.
We would also like to copy the backups from Server1 to Server2 for our weekly storage to be written to tape. The question I have is it better to configure the backup copy jobs to run from Server1 to Server2 then from Server2 to Server3, or to send them from Server1 to Server2 & Server3.

Here is a basic diagram of how the infrastructure is currently laid out, just a side note we do have a dedicated link specifically for backup and replication between the two sites...
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy Jobs - Best Configuration?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Do you really have three backup management servers? Without knowing more details about your environment, I would go with one management server. That makes everything much easier.

I would copy from Server 1 to Server 3. Because "Backup copy job from backup copy job" is more complex than a normal backup copy job.

Best regards,
Hannes