Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
smayerwaukesha
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: sherryl mayer

copy/move backups from one sobr to another

Post by smayerwaukesha »

we've had one sobr where we sent all our backups, 6 months worth. we just added another SOBR at another building. I want to change some of those existing backups so only 4 weeks stays at the original location, but we have 6 months retention at the new sobr using a backup copy job. Is there any way in a few steps I can copy all 6 months to the new sobr, add to those with the new backup copy job and cut the retention at the original location back to only 4 weeks? I'm trying not to have two copies of all that data and where I manually have to trim the original site once a month. Thanks,
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: copy/move backups from one sobr to another

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sherryl

Unfortunately you cannot map a "backup copy job" to "backup job files". Therefore copying those existing backup files won't help in solving your use case.

Have you considered creating a new backup copy job for the new SOBR? After a period of six months, you can reduce the retention period of the backup jobs to four months. During the next job run, the backup server will automatically delete restore points that are older than four months from the initial SOBR.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
smayerwaukesha
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: sherryl mayer

Re: copy/move backups from one sobr to another

Post by smayerwaukesha »

Perfect solution. It will definitely save time. Didn't mention, but the main goal was to get the backup (copies) to the other location encrypted in transit. Took care of that with the Exagrid topology. Thought about this so long, I couldn't see the forest thru the trees!