Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vaicsimmons
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Simmons

Copying Backups To A Second Physical Repository

Post by vaicsimmons »

I am currently running all aspects Veeam B&R 9.5 on a physical server. This server also acts as my local repository. I have a Backup Job that keeps 7 restore points for my VM backups to the local repository. For that job, I have configured a secondary destination. The secondary target points to a Backup Copy Job.

The Backup Copy Job is set to copy every 1 day. The target of this BCJ is the same local repository as the primary backup job. I have the BCJ set to 2 restore points and to keep 4 weekly, 12 monthly, and 7 yearly backups.

I have a second physical server that I would like to use as another repository. This server will be placed in another building on our property. I would like to keep 7 daily restore points, 4 weekly and 12 monthly backups. This is where I have a few questions:

1. Do I simply create a share on the second server and add it as a repository within Veeam B&R running on server 1?

2. Do I then create a another BCJ with my requirements noted above and then link that job as another secondary destination within the main Backup Job?

Any other comments / suggestions are appreciated.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Copying Backups To A Second Physical Repository

Post by veremin »

1. Correct, but if you have a chance to use something else than Windows file share as your target repository, take this chance for the sake of performance and reliability
2. Correct

Thanks!