Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guest52
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vyacheslav

Copying backups to another site

Post by guest52 »

Hello!

I have got "Site A" with backups. I want on my "Site B" have the same copy and in the future "Site B" will have the data similar to those located in the "Site A".
How I can make a copy of backups from "Site A" to "Site B" with Veeam BaR? And do I understand correctly that in the future I will be able to customize my backup jobs so that are was linked with the copied data on the "Site B" (backup to both repository)?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Copying backups to another site

Post by PTide »

Hi,
How I can make a copy of backups from "Site A" to "Site B" with Veeam BaR?
You can set up a Backup Copy Job.
And do I understand correctly that in the future I will be able to customize my backup jobs so that are was linked with the copied data on the "Site B" (backup to both repository)?
Not sure I got what you mean...you can use private messages to talk in native language, that would be easier, I guess.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Once created BCJ will keep your offsite backups updated. All you need to do:

- create a site-B-repo
- choose your site A backups to be copied as a source
- point your BCJ to site-B-repo

If you have a weak link between your sites then I'd suggest you to use WAN Acceleration for better Backup Copy performance and deduplication.

Also it's important to have a copy of your Veeam B&R server configuration on your site B, so you can recover the whole backup server faster.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

UPDATE:

Please note, that using backup copy job you get the LAST actual restore point on your remote site.

For example: you have daily backups since Feb 2014 until present day on site "A". Assume you start your BCJ today. In this case you'll get a most recent restore point on your remote site - TODAY.

If you want to move the whole chain to remote site, then you need to copy the whole backup chain (whether manually or using File Copy Job) to repo "B" and map your BCJ to that new chain. Be careful with the interval - if you have, say, daily backup then BCJ with weekly interval will produce a set of restore points with a week-sized gap between them on your remote site.

Thank you.