Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jpiscaer
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Joep Piscaer

Copying oldest VM restore point in a job to a copy job

Post by jpiscaer »

Hi guys

I want to copy the oldest (a specific historic date, i.e. not the latest) restore point for a given VM to a new copy job. I don't want to copy the oldest restore point for all VMs in that backup job, but only for specific VMs (using vSphere tags).
I understand how to do this for the most recent restore point but I'd like to copy the oldest one instead.

I haven't seen an easy (wizard-based) way of doing this in the UI. What's the best way to do this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Copying oldest VM restore point in a job to a copy job

Post by veremin »

I think the combination of Instant VM Recovery, backup job and backup copy job would be the best option here. Thanks.
jpiscaer
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Joep Piscaer

Post by jpiscaer »

I thought of that, but then I'll miss the metadata: if I restore a VM that's (let's say) a year old, restore it and create a new backup, the backup will indicate that it's todays backup instead of last year's...

Also, since the restored VM is different than the original, going forward there will be two VMs with the same name in the copy jib, right?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joep, yes, that's correct. The restore point would indicate time when it was created. You can add any suffix to the VM name when doing instant VM recovery, in this case the VM will not have the same name.
hans_lenze
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Post by hans_lenze »

Isn't there some wizardry that lets you place a single restore point into a new backup chain? All the logic to pull this off is somewhere in the database and the mover.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You cannot select a specific restore point to create a backup copy for, the solution above should be used.