Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Trin
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Creating a gateway server

Post by Trin »

In an attempt to solve a problem, I want to try using a gateway server between the backup server (Windows server) and repository (CIFS share).

I understand I need to configure the gateway via the "Add Repository" wizard but I'm not sure how I need to complete this particular device setup (I'm not entirely sure what the gateway does with files etc.).

So far I've mapped the CIFS shared folder, which is the ultimate destination of the backup copy files, to the new gateway server but I'm not sure how exactly to configure the gateway in Veeam.

Do I select the type as Windows server or Shared folder in the wizard? If I go through Windows server, I have to pick the repository folder but as the share is not an option, do I pick the C: drive? Will this then want to copy the backup files to it?

Any help would be very welcome!

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Creating a gateway server

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Select shared folder as a type, and choose the gateway server on this step

Thanks
Trin
Enthusiast

Post by Trin »

The problem is, I don't yet have a gateway server to pick in that option, only the backup server which I don't want to use.

The CIFS share repository we currently use for our backup copy files has it's gateway option set to automatic. I want to change this to use a new gateway server (not the backup server) but I'm not sure how best to configure the new gateway to make it an option in that step you linked to.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Add a server (you want to use as a gateway) to a backup console first - Backup Infrastructure -> Managed Servers -> Add Server -> Microsoft Windows. The closer server is located to the share the better. Then, select it in the corresponding wizard.
Trin
Enthusiast

Post by Trin »

Ah, I see, got it.

I was under the impression I had to use the "Add New Backup Repository" wizard to create it in the first place.

All done, many thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Nope, gateway server is not a repository, but rather an ordinary Windows-based server. Therefore it has to be added via Managed Servers wizard. Thanks.