Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Daily Active Full vs Weekly Active Full Backup Duration

Post by Supraman »

I hope someone can perhaps enlighten me with regards to the the performance I am seeing with our two jobs.

So currently in our environment due to our tape retention policy we have almost two backup jobs for almost every VM. Both jobs runs Active full with the exception that one runs on the daily vs the other which run only once a week. Now what I have notice is that my daily full runs so much faster than my weekly Active full in term of overall duration. Has anyone come across this or perhaps know of a way in which I could improve the performance of my Weekly Active Full?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Daily Active Full vs Weekly Active Full Backup Duration

Post by PetrM »

Hi Vinh,

The described behavior does not seem to be expected. I would propose to open a support case and ask our engineers to examine weekly full backup statistics and debug logs in order to figure out the root cause. Could you please clarify why do you have two backup jobs for almost every VM, how is it related to tape retention policy?

Thanks!
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Re: Daily Active Full vs Weekly Active Full Backup Duration

Post by Supraman »

Well as I was stating we run Active Full Daily as well as on the Weekly. If I have only one Job my tape media pool will contain both our Daily and Weekly set which are sent to Iron Mountain at different time frame and they come back at a different schedule. Therefore, to achieve our Tape retention policy I would have to set two different Media Pools one for Daily and one for Full. By design Veeam from what it appear Veeam is meant for incremental combine with synthetic full along with perhaps monthly Active full.