Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
emhaict
Lurker
Liked: never

Daily/weekly/monthly restore points for onsite AND offsite?

Post by emhaict »

Hi,
I'm seeking advice around best practice for configuring Veeam to perform daily/weekly/monthly backups to a local onsite repository AND an offsite remote repository.

We current have 2 jobs:
Onsite_Backup - which backs up our servers to a local, onsite repository, with 7 restore points.
Offsite_Copy - which copies the backups created by the Onsite_Backup job to an offsite repository (over the WAN).

These jobs are working well, however we now require: 7 daily restore points, 4 weekly restore points, & 6 monthly restore points.

I appreciate that a Copy Job includes the functionality 'Keep the following restore points for archival purposes', but I can't get my head around how this should be configured so that we have the 7/4/6 restore points on both the onsite AND remote repositories?

One method could be to have 3 x Onsite Backup Jobs - daily, weekly & monthly, and 3 x corresponding Copy Jobs, but is this the best way of doing this, since presumably it will utilise approximately 3 x the storage.

Can anyone offer guidance on how best to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Richard
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Daily/weekly/monthly restore points for onsite AND offsi

Post by foggy »

Why not just to have a second backup copy job, also using the Onsite_Backup job as a source, but writing its backups to some local location?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Daily/weekly/monthly restore points for onsite AND offsi

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, if you aren't ok with transformation operation taking place in local repository, you can use simple "copy" script. Being scheduled via Windows Scheduler, the script will copy the latest full backup to the required location on weekly, monthly, yearly basis.

Thanks.