Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

daily, weekly vs space usage

Post by TaylorB »

I have my servers split out into daily, weekly and even some monthly jobs. I use forever incremental with synthetic fulls. I'm beginning to wonder if going weekly saves me any significant disk space given that the same amount of changes are occuring either way. I either record more small changes daily, or save them up for one big change on the weekend. Monthly obviously saves me the space of having multiple fulls per month. What do you think, am I gaining anything by trying to seperate my VMs with less frequent changes into weekly backups? I'm beginning to run into management issues juggling too many VMs in too many jobs.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: daily, weekly vs space usage

Post by foggy »

Weekly amount of changes could be less if the some blocks change several times a week. However having separate backup chains provides less dedup between VMs (no dedupe across different jobs). Also depends on the amount of restore points you keep for both types of jobs (since the number of actually stored restore points varies from day to day with forward incremental mode). Any way to test both approaches?