Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Data dedupe or Server 2016 w/ReFS

Post by unsichtbarre »

I am interfacing with a client system and trying to help resolve a full Veeam Repository. It's Server 2016 and the 15TB Repository is attached with Microsoft iSCSI Initiator, formatted RsFS 64K Block. It's used exclusively for GFS backup storage and so is an ideal candidate for filesystem dedupe.

Here's what's interesting: Dedupe is not enabled or installed on the server! Imagine my surprise when I found through directory listing that there were over 40TB of files on this 15TB "disk"!?

My intention was to enable dedupe to relieve the full repository (after I moved some of the files to a different disk) to relieve congestion, but if dedupe is already working in spite of not being installed or enabled, I won't reclaim space.

How can dedupe be working if it's not installed?

THX in ADV
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Data dedupe or Server 2016 w/ReFS

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Seems like our Fast Clone technology is working as designed :D
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

So then can ReFS Dedupe provide any additional compression on top of Fast Clone?
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it does. However in general, it's not recommended by the users, because cons of enabling dedupe on ReFS far overweight pros. There's the dedicated topic for this, you can read the feedback from other community members there. Thanks!