Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
seo
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Svein Erik Olsen

Datadomain managed file replication

Post by seo »

Hi,
Does Veeam v8 with DDboost support Datadomain "managed file replication". As I understand it, this is necessary to be able to replicate data between two Datadomain boxes when DDboost is used.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Datadomain managed file replication

Post by veremin »

seo
Influencer

Post by seo »

Any plans on doing so?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We cannot make comments on out roadmap. But I can say that we are always listening to the feedback, and assign feature priorities according to the actual demand. Thanks.
SGalbincea
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

Post by SGalbincea »

Add me to the list of people that would like to see this implemented. Coming from NetWorker, this was a nice performance boost to get backups replicated to our DR site. I am still working out the best way to achieve this in the meantime, any ideas would be welcome.
Senior Solutions Engineer, SLED - VMware
meilicke
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott Meilicke

Post by meilicke »

That would be a great feature, one we would use immediately. DD replication is much faster than Veeam WAN Accelerators. Boost 3.0 support may also be sufficient, allowing for the boost client to backup to the remote DD for a backup copy job.
lukeroom
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Lukas Zimmer

Post by lukeroom »

Hey,

now the question again :-) Is this feature on the roadmap for Veeam B&R V9?

regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As mentioned above, we typically do not share our roadmap, however appreciate any feedback regarding desired functionality. Thanks!
aodhan
Lurker
Full Name: Aodhan G

Post by aodhan » 1 person likes this post

I would like Veeam to investigate managed file replication for the Data Domain line of products. We have made a significant investment in Veeam recently and this is the top feature request for our company at this time.
seo
Influencer

Post by seo » 1 person likes this post

Add me to the list of people that would like to see this implemented.
avandeven
Novice
Full Name: Adam Vande Ven

Post by avandeven »

I would like to add to this as well, Managed File Replication would be HUGE for the customers that we cater to.

I would be beyond ecstatic to hear any possibility of this feature being included in the future and would love to help participate if a feature like this were in any beta or experimental build.
jpreou
Service Provider

Post by jpreou »

Please note my request also for Boost Managed File Replication (BMFR). I am looking at a solution where the Veeam customer purchases an EMC DD and then replicates offsite to our multi-tenant DD in our datacentre. Looking at ways to handle the replication situation given they want 12 months on the primary (owned) device and up to 10 years on the secondary (offsite) device. BMFR would do this nicely and I have EMC asking whether this is an opportunity to replace Veeam with their own fully-integrated backup product.
So ... +1 for adding BMFR and you might want to make it +3 or +4 because we have other customers that have a DD and might be interested in offsite replication for LTR to our multi-tenant DD. And that is just this region; we support many more customers in other regions in NZ, so this capability would be a significant plus for our service offering across NZ/Aus and AsiaPac in general.
Thanks
vmuser
Lurker
Full Name: Daniel Turley

Post by vmuser »

Product enhancement request: Add DDboost MFR with BFT.
I would like to see Veeam add DataDomain DDboost support for ‘Managed file replication’ (MFR) with ‘base file tracking’ (BFT). Most of my backup jobs are setup for daily incremental backups with a monthly active full backup. In addition to that, weekly Synthetic full backups have been added. Synthetic backups improve the restore rate since the backup chains only grow up to 7 restore points instead of ~28.

Currently DataDomain replication is mtree based and that method cannot recognize the data already replicated inside a synthetic full. As a result the entire synthetic full is replicated. According to EMC support, if MFR with BFT were implemented in the backup software, then replication would only copy data not previously replicated. This would have a huge positive impact on the performance of the DataDomain.

Environment:
Veeam servers run on Windows 2012 R2
Veeam 9.5 update 1
EMC DD4500 DDOS 5.7.3.0
~1800 VMs

Thanks!
bmacias
Lurker
Full Name: Bert Macias

Post by bmacias »

I too would LOVE to see MFR functionality added to the Veeam B&R core product.

I currently have replication configured using MTREE contexts. The same storage units to which these MTREE contexts are configured support DDBOOST based backups, with nightly incrementals and weekly synthetic fulls. As with previous post I am having to replicate the entire synthetic full instead of a more efficient data set. I too have heard back from EMC support suggesting that I request this feature so that my replication windows can be greatly reduced.

Environment:
Veeam proxy servers:Windows 2012 R2
Veeam 9.5 U2
VeeamONE 9.5 U1
EMC DD4500 DDOS 5.7.4.0
EMC DD4200
~400 VMs
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

+1 for me.

Gostev previously hinted that storage-based replication was being investigated, but I don't know if this was using Data Domains/DDboost.
Right now, we seem to be stuck inbetween Veeam not supporting/recommending DD replication, and BCJ's not being suitable/efficient enough.
cletteri
Lurker
Full Name: Christophe Letteri

Post by cletteri » 1 person likes this post

+1 for me too
I don't understand why MFR is not yet supported in Veeam.
For me , we cannot said then that Veeam ios fully compatible with DataDomain : we loos time without MFR :(
Mohammed.Abbas
Novice
Full Name: Mohammed Abbas

[MERGED] Managed File Replication on DELL EMC DD

Post by Mohammed.Abbas »

Hi,

Do we have any road map for Veeam supporting DELL EMC DD Managed File Replication?

Thanks
Mohammed Abbas
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Kindly, check the answers provided above. Thanks!
GonzaloMurillo
Technology Partner
Full Name: Gonzalo Murillo

Post by GonzaloMurillo »

cletteri wrote: Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am +1 for me too
I don't understand why MFR is not yet supported in Veeam.
For me , we cannot said then that Veeam ios fully compatible with DataDomain : we loos time without MFR :(
I am a formally a Technical Support Engineer for Data Domain, and I do agree to the above affirmation. Please bear in mind that I am speaking personally and not in the name of DELL, so this is an affirmation I do as an individual, rather than as a representative of the company I work for (DELL).

We have been waiting forever for Managed File Replication (MFR) coming to VEEAM and it seems that it is never going to happen.

Not having MFR capabilities in VEEAM makes the integration between VEEAM and Data Domain somehow imperfect as the ability to use the Data Domain native replication mechanism to store one backup in a Disaster Recovery / remote Data Domain is not implemented.

Other that referring to the message that "VEEAM does not comment on future road maps", is there any intention to make this working? I do not see it included in VEEAM 10 new features.

Apart from that, and as a general information, the guide for the integration with Data Domain is here:
https://www.veeam.com/dell-emc-data-dom ... ide_pg.pdf
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

We don't comment on roadmap simply because we don't do long-term roadmaps. We like to remain flexible and be able to address immediate business opportunities, which are impossible to predict. For example, we did add HPE StoreOnce Catalyst replication support in v10 because HPE started to resell Veeam, and this was one of their requirements for resell.

What I can say is that MFR is not currently on a short-term roadmap, meaning there's no intention to include this feature in the next major release. However, I've seen many Veeam customers setting up Data Domain MTree replication manually, and using it with great success - so it was never a big pressing point anyway. If I remember correctly, we even have some registry mods that makes MTREE replication work more efficiently.
GonzaloMurillo
Technology Partner

Post by GonzaloMurillo »

First of all thanks for the replying, I really appreciate it.

Regarding this particular statement that you made: "However, I've seen many Veeam customers setting up Data Domain MTree replication manually, and using it with great success - so it was never a big pressing point anyway. If I remember correctly, we even have some registry mods that makes MTREE replication works more efficiently."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but from my experience is actually the opposite. Mtree replication of VEEAM "loads" is slow and painful for our customers.

I have real experience from the trenches so this is not theory but a sad reality, and I can swear you that we deal with lots of "mtree replication is being slow" service requests where the problem is that the data has been backed up with Veeam.

For us is like the perfect storm because normally VEEAM is used to store virtual machines .vmdk´s of a big size, and when Veeam is used for backing up, sometimes the segments end up with high fragmentation (the segments being store "far way" between each other).

When we analyze the mtree replication context (and I even did a graphical tool for this that shows clearly the bottlenecks) what we see is that the reading of those segments (required for fingerprinting) is slow and consequently we need to end up recommending to our customers to create further mtrees and further mtrees replication contexts so we have more streams working together and dealing with the replication. But that solution is costly in terms of redesign and far from perfect.

Another issue that we are having is restoring Virtual Machines that have been backed up using VEEAM on top of a Data Domain using DDBOOST.

When Veeam restores it uses "ddboost random readings" rather than sequential readings. Using those random readings kills our Data Domain optimization for retrieving information that has landed closely in the storage, but that is another problem.

Don´t get my wrong. I love VEEAM but the integration with Data Domain (another product that I really love) is far from perfect, and is a pity.

DDBoost Managed File Replication implemented in VEEAM would make customers that intersect (VEEAM - DATA DOMAIN) much more happier with the solution that they have bought. I do not know how many they are, but I think a high number.

Again this is my personal opinion even when I work for DELL.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

Hi Gonzalo, not to argue your statements, but speaking about optimizations - we've made some in the past for faster restores as well. These have been specifically targeted for Veeam random IO workloads. And we've also implemented disabling of readahead on Data Domain to eliminate the effect of random reads. Thanks!
GonzaloMurillo
Technology Partner

Post by GonzaloMurillo »

Thanks for the info. On which version was this accelerated restore introduced?

Best regards
Gonzalo
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

On Veeam B&R v9.5u4, if my memory serves me well.