Datadomain managed file replication

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Datadomain managed file replication

Veeam Logoby seo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:17 am

Hi,
Does Veeam v8 with DDboost support Datadomain "managed file replication". As I understand it, this is necessary to be able to replicate data between two Datadomain boxes when DDboost is used.
seo
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Svein Erik Olsen

Re: Datadomain managed file replication

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:26 am

v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby seo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 am

Any plans on doing so?
seo
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:43 am

We cannot make comments on out roadmap. But I can say that we are always listening to the feedback, and assign feature priorities according to the actual demand. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby SGalbincea » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Add me to the list of people that would like to see this implemented. Coming from NetWorker, this was a nice performance boost to get backups replicated to our DR site. I am still working out the best way to achieve this in the meantime, any ideas would be welcome.
Senior Network Engineer, VCP5-DCV, VMSP, VMTSP, NIOP
Senior Network Engineer
BEMA Information Technologies
Houston, TX
SGalbincea
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

Veeam Logoby meilicke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 pm

That would be a great feature, one we would use immediately. DD replication is much faster than Veeam WAN Accelerators. Boost 3.0 support may also be sufficient, allowing for the boost client to backup to the remote DD for a backup copy job.
meilicke
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott Meilicke

Veeam Logoby lukeroom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 am

Hey,

now the question again :-) Is this feature on the roadmap for Veeam B&R V9?

regards
lukeroom
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Lukas Zimmer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:29 am

As mentioned above, we typically do not share our roadmap, however appreciate any feedback regarding desired functionality. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby aodhan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:53 pm 1 person likes this post

I would like Veeam to investigate managed file replication for the Data Domain line of products. We have made a significant investment in Veeam recently and this is the top feature request for our company at this time.
aodhan
Lurker

Full Name: Aodhan G

Veeam Logoby seo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:52 am 1 person likes this post

Add me to the list of people that would like to see this implemented.
seo
Novice

Veeam Logoby avandeven » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:25 pm

I would like to add to this as well, Managed File Replication would be HUGE for the customers that we cater to.

I would be beyond ecstatic to hear any possibility of this feature being included in the future and would love to help participate if a feature like this were in any beta or experimental build.
avandeven
Novice

Full Name: Adam Vande Ven

Veeam Logoby jpreou » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Please note my request also for Boost Managed File Replication (BMFR). I am looking at a solution where the Veeam customer purchases an EMC DD and then replicates offsite to our multi-tenant DD in our datacentre. Looking at ways to handle the replication situation given they want 12 months on the primary (owned) device and up to 10 years on the secondary (offsite) device. BMFR would do this nicely and I have EMC asking whether this is an opportunity to replace Veeam with their own fully-integrated backup product.
So ... +1 for adding BMFR and you might want to make it +3 or +4 because we have other customers that have a DD and might be interested in offsite replication for LTR to our multi-tenant DD. And that is just this region; we support many more customers in other regions in NZ, so this capability would be a significant plus for our service offering across NZ/Aus and AsiaPac in general.
Thanks
jpreou
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby vmuser » Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Product enhancement request: Add DDboost MFR with BFT.
I would like to see Veeam add DataDomain DDboost support for ‘Managed file replication’ (MFR) with ‘base file tracking’ (BFT). Most of my backup jobs are setup for daily incremental backups with a monthly active full backup. In addition to that, weekly Synthetic full backups have been added. Synthetic backups improve the restore rate since the backup chains only grow up to 7 restore points instead of ~28.

Currently DataDomain replication is mtree based and that method cannot recognize the data already replicated inside a synthetic full. As a result the entire synthetic full is replicated. According to EMC support, if MFR with BFT were implemented in the backup software, then replication would only copy data not previously replicated. This would have a huge positive impact on the performance of the DataDomain.

Environment:
Veeam servers run on Windows 2012 R2
Veeam 9.5 update 1
EMC DD4500 DDOS 5.7.3.0
~1800 VMs

Thanks!
vmuser
Lurker

Full Name: Daniel Turley

Veeam Logoby bmacias » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 am

I too would LOVE to see MFR functionality added to the Veeam B&R core product.

I currently have replication configured using MTREE contexts. The same storage units to which these MTREE contexts are configured support DDBOOST based backups, with nightly incrementals and weekly synthetic fulls. As with previous post I am having to replicate the entire synthetic full instead of a more efficient data set. I too have heard back from EMC support suggesting that I request this feature so that my replication windows can be greatly reduced.

Environment:
Veeam proxy servers:Windows 2012 R2
Veeam 9.5 U2
VeeamONE 9.5 U1
EMC DD4500 DDOS 5.7.4.0
EMC DD4200
~400 VMs
bmacias
Lurker

Full Name: Bert Macias

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 am

+1 for me.

Gostev previously hinted that storage-based replication was being investigated, but I don't know if this was using Data Domains/DDboost.
Right now, we seem to be stuck inbetween Veeam not supporting/recommending DD replication, and BCJ's not being suitable/efficient enough.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication