DC not starting correctly in SureBackup

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: DC not starting correctly in SureBackup

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:03 pm

In the key specified above:

Code: Select all
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SureBackup

After adding it you should see something similar to the following in the job debug log, once it is started:

Code: Select all
[03.09.2014 15:07:21] <01> Info     [SureBackup] | 30 | SetSysvolReady                | Boolean | True       | False      | Enables or disables setting 'SysvolReady' registry key in guest OS
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby redhorse » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:55 pm

It's not working! SysvolReady is still 0 although I see this line in the job debug log.

The debug log tells me that Veeam changes the SyvolReady key in the registry in this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System85fde29834a043b3b9ab0f79ee718656\ControlSet001\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System85fde29834a043b3b9ab0f79ee718656\ControlSet002\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

Is that right?
redhorse
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: RH

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:02 pm

The path is ok, however the fact that SysvolReady is still 0 is not expected. Please open a case with our technical support and provide full Veeam B&R logs as well as the %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt folder contents from the DC started by the SureBackup job. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby redhorse » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:47 pm

The problem was solved just without doing anything but now it’s back again.

Before I open a support case I want to know if it is right that setting the 'SysvolReady' to 1 only sets this flag on the DC once? I start the DC with SureBackup and it is automatically booting in safe mode (with SysvolReady to 1) but after the following reboot SyvolReady changes back to 0 and the ActiveDirectory is not working.
redhorse
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:28 pm

redhorse wrote:Before I open a support case I want to know if it is right that setting the 'SysvolReady' to 1 only sets this flag on the DC once? I start the DC with SureBackup and it is automatically booting in safe mode (with SysvolReady to 1) but after the following reboot SyvolReady changes back to 0...

Yes, this is expected. Please open a case and provide information mentioned above for further investigation.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby redhorse » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 am

Now, one day later, it works after the new restore point. That’s crazy!

But now I think the problem is not the SysvolReady-Flag after I read lots of information about Domain Controller restore.

We have a physical and a virtual DC and with SureBackup the physical DC is not reachable in the virtual environment. Could this be the problem? Is SureBackup performing an authorative or a non-authorative restore? I checked the Flags for DC, DNS and Global Catalog. But it’s not clear why it is working one day and not the next day.

So now it is not easy to open a case because today everything seem to be fine.
redhorse
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 am

redhorse wrote:Is SureBackup performing an authorative or a non-authorative restore?

SureBackup performs an authoritative restore of the DC in the application group.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kevin_cambs_uk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:13 pm

zoltank wrote:After troubleshooting the problem on my own, it turns out Netlogon is starting before FRS is ready, therefore SYSVOL isn't shared, therefore domain services aren't available. The workaround to this is setting the FRS SYSVOL-Ready flag manually per this MS KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947022/en-us. I can start a SureBackup session with the failing DC VM, set the flag, reboot, and have it come up correctly. I can then remove the flag, reboot, and have it fail again.

Just like to say this saved me hours of work, thanks for posting the solution
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication