Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jromalino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Romalino

Dedupe Issues - B&R V9

Post by jromalino »

We have just noticed another problem since upgrading from B&R v8 to B&R v9. We backup every evening to NetAPP storage. With B&R v8 we used to get well over 70% dedupe saving on the volume. Since upgrading to v9, our dedupe savings have dropped dramatically down to around 9% and the volumes are filling up much faster. The backup jobs have all the same settings they had with v8. I have a case opened (Case number 01728611). Any ideas why this is happening?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Dedupe Issues - B&R V9

Post by Gostev »

Not sure, there certainly has been no changes as far as backup file format... what makes you think this is related to v9 upgrade?
jromalino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Romalino

Post by jromalino »

The reason I believe it is v9 is because I have had numerous issues after upgrading from v8. I have been running B&R since v6.5. I've worked through many of the quirks over the years. Since upgrading to v9, we seem to be having more failed backups, issues with Exchange backups and now dedupe problems. We did not experience anything like this with v8.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Quite a bad luck with v9 for you then... as statistically speaking v8 was much worse release in terms of quality comparing to v9. Or may be you just did not upgrade to v8 until Update 1 was out, so this is not an apple to apple comparison?
kryptoem
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Etienne Munnich

Post by kryptoem »

NetApp De-dup and compression settings for the volume need to be setup correctly - check the KB articles.

Also check the de-dup settings are set to scheduled as to keep the performance up. At present I get dedup of +-15% and compression of +-21%. Sometimes this is higher/lower.