Delete Restore Points

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] Manually deleting old files

Veeam Logoby marius roma » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm

I have a backup job that creates a full backup exery Sunday and incremental backup during week days.
Can I manually delete old and full incremental backup files and keep files from a given full backup?
Regards
marius
marius roma
Expert

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mario

Re: Manually deleting old files

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi Mario,

You can reduce the number of restore points kept and let Veeam to remove expired restore points.
Can you clarify why it's necessary to delete old restore points manually? Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby marius roma » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Because the files belong to a backup job that is no more active and I want to keep only the latest ones.
Regards
Marius
marius roma
Expert

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mario

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes, you can delete old restore points manually, but keep in mind it's not recommended practice.
Please review existing thread for additional information. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Delete Restore Points

Veeam Logoby davbarrio » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 am

Hi,
i also suffer this problem. Retention Policy doesn´t seem to work, so a lot of restore points keep saved in our Backups Storage.

Several weeks ago, i finally get to remove manually old full synthetic and all his incremental points ... but i know it´s no good doing that manually ..

So, i also find this link with help about the problem: https://my.veeam.com/#/kb1990

... but i can´t believe i must re-configure all jobs because now Retention Policy it´s not working ...

Is there any new solution for this error? Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks.

Regards.
davbarrio
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: David del Barrio

Re: Delete Restore Points

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi David, from your description it's not clear why retention is not applied in your case, however, there could be several reasons for that, as you can see from this thread and the mentioned KB article. If your jobs are set up in a way where synthetic full doesn't occur (jobs are chained, for example, not letting full to start), there's nothing you can do but re-consider jobs configuration to avoid this behavior. Hard to advise without knowing more about your setup, so I recommend contacting support, if you need further assistance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication