Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Deleted VMs Retention Period

Post by Gostev »

There is really nothing to draw here, as there is NO relation between Restore Points and Deleted VMs Retention. This setting does not remove any backup files. All it does is clean up inside the full backup file (VBK). Read my previous post, there was no additional questions about this functionality since I posted it over 1 year ago.

If you are using backup mode with periodic full backups, this setting does not apply at all.

If you are using backup mode that maintains a single full backup on disk, this setting will clean up the full backup file (and only that file) by marking the blocks belonging to deleted VMs as unused after said amount of days from VM deletion passes. This setting will never touch or delete any other backup files, nor affect their retention time on disk anyhow.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

I can show you a drawing and my setup on Veeam and how I tied it with Symantec Exec.
rurouni
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by rurouni »

I reread the previous posts. what you re saying here is that i didn t understand a word.
Your previous post said that in forward inc + full(no matter the kind of full), the deleted vms retention has no impact at all.

So in my example weekly full + inc, if i store datas for one month, i ll probably have a minimum of 4 Full vbks on my repository for this job.
Let s say i have 10 vms in this job and i remove one vm on purpose after two weeks, though the deleted vms retention is set to 3 days, it will not cleanup previous week files after 2 weeks and 3 days has passed? So my deleted vms datas will stay in my backup files until the retention points has expired.

That s really not my first understanding of how this feature works. it is also no explained this way in the online documentation, or not detailed enough.
If a VM is no longer available (for example, it was deleted or moved to another location), Veeam Backup & Replication will keep its data in the backup for the period you specify in the Deleted VMs data retention period field. When this retention period is over, data of the deleted VM will be removed from backup files.
I didn t reply one year ago because i m using veeam Backup for one month only ;-)
Thanks for the help understanding
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

rurouni wrote:So in my example weekly full + inc, if i store datas for one month, i ll probably have a minimum of 4 Full vbks on my repository for this job.
Let s say i have 10 vms in this job and i remove one vm on purpose after two weeks, though the deleted vms retention is set to 3 days, it will not cleanup previous week files after 2 weeks and 3 days has passed? So my deleted vms datas will stay in my backup files until the retention points has expired.
That is correct. In any backup mode with periodic fulls, after backup files are created, their contents is never touched again, no matter what.