Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
javiert99
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Javier Trilla

Deployment / Infrastructure advice requested!

Post by javiert99 »

Hi all, new to Veeam, and have been testing it on hardware I have available for the past few weeks. All has been well so far, love the interface and it indeed "just works."

We pulled the trigger on licensing for Backup Essentials Enterprise, as we only have 2 - 2 CPU hosts as of now, and planning on adding a 3rd soon as I P2V more physical machines.

We're a Hyper-V environment (2012 R2 hosts), relatively small, with one host at one office that has 3 VM's, and another host at a second office that will also host 2 or 3 VM's, plus another hosting another few as well soon.

My plan was to toss a Dell R530 with dual physical cores, 32 or 64GB of RAM, and 12TB of NL-SATA storage as a backup server at each site. Server 2012 R2 would be installed on each with the Hyper-V roled enable. With the large storage in each I thought to install Veeam on the physical box, and keep the Hyper-V role enabled for use as a replication target.

We only have about 1TB of data at each site, daily change percentage is low. Backups right now complete in no time just over the network.

I plan to perform backup copies between site repositories over WAN. For my 3rd copy, I will be using Cloud Connect.

Any thoughts or input to this plan? I went over it with presales tech and they seemed to like it. I've included a quick and dirty visio diagram...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnbxj58shqepi ... l.jpg?dl=0
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Deployment / Infrastructure advice requested!

Post by Andreas Neufert »

This is a good plan.
Very importand is to keep the Hosts up to date (Windows Update is not enough).http://www.veeam.com/kb1838
javiert99
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Javier Trilla

Re: Deployment / Infrastructure advice requested!

Post by javiert99 »

Great to know! I experienced a few issues caused by an out of date test host, and they were fixed by updates of this nature. Thank you for the input!