Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bjoernwolter
Lurker
Liked: never

Disaster Recovery of an virtual Veeam Server

Post by bjoernwolter »

Hello, i m planning the steps for a desaster recovery of our environment to complete my documentation
My Environment: Single ESXi Host (no VCenter) with 5 VMs one of this VMs is the Veeam B+R Server
Backups are stored on an Synology NAS with an copy job to an RDX-Drive places inside the ESX-Host.
B+R will run a daily Incremental Backup to the nas (and after this to the rdx). The whole Backup works like a charm ;-)

Recovery of single Machines Files or other object are simply clear, run B+R and do your restore job.

My Question is: What is the best practise if I loose the whole Hardwareserver. Which ist the fastes way to Bare-Metal-Restore the environment with B+R Server, DC, etc.

I can backup the B+R Server with an additional Job to the NAS ok, but how to get further....
my imagination is to to quickly restore the B+R mount the repository on the NAS and restore the DC and so on. But how will i get the B+R Server back to the (new) Hardware?

can someone give me some advices?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Desaster Recovery of an virtual Veeam Server

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Bjoern,
Fastest way is to have a Replica of Veeam VM on another Host. 1 click and it will run.
However in your case(minimal infrastructure requirements), recommended way would be Configuration Backup and Restore process.
Thanks!
bjoernwolter
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Desaster Recovery of an virtual Veeam Server

Post by bjoernwolter »

Hi,
As you write we have no option to replica the vm.
In your suggest I have to install the OS of the B+R-Server and B+R itself by Hand. Ok thats an Option but takes a long time and a lot of steps.

the i can use my other possible Solutio, which is also a little bit complicated, but should work: copy the entire VM-Files (the vmx and vmdk) of the VEEAM-VM to an share on the NAS. In case of an desaster failure can copy these files back to the esx (via ssh or so), Connect the vm to the esx and lauch the vm, from there i could restore all vms via veeam
Thats a way, but i thought it gave an "VEEAM"-Way
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Disaster Recovery of an virtual Veeam Server

Post by foggy »

take a look at the extract.exe tool, might be what you're looking for. Thanks!