Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joshuas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua S

Design: Physical Linux combined Proxy and Gateway server?

Post by joshuas »

Hello, I am aware that in previous versions you could not have a Linux-based gateway for VBR, but in version 11 that appears to have changed.

In our environment we will have two NetApps, one in our datacenter and one at our DR site.

The NetApp in the datacenter is redundant, with SnapMirror'd volumes on secondary nodes.

The NetApp at our DR site will be presenting NFS shares for Veeam backups.

Will it be possible to put one or more physical servers at the DR site running linux, and have each act as a combined proxy and gateway? We want to utilize Backup from Storage Snapshots (pulled from the secondary volumes/nodes in our datacenter).

Provided the servers are the same spec, would we get better performance having one as a dedicated proxy and one as a dedicated gateway? We'd like to use as little Windows servers as possible, but if we must... can a Windows-based physical host perform both roles for NFS storage?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Design: Physical Linux combined Proxy and Gateway server?

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Joshua,

If I get it right, you'd like to use the same Linux server as a proxy for backups from storage snapshots and as a gateway server for NFS repository. Yes, Linux proxy might be an option, just refer to this page on our help center and check the requirements from NetApp about the compatibility of the Linux server with your storage system.

You can also use Linux machine as a gateway server if it has a direct access to the NFS share, you can select the gateway server on this step of repository creation wizard.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Just keep in mind the system requirements for the shared server as those for both roles should be summed up in this case.
joshuas wrote: Oct 19, 2021 1:49 pm can a Windows-based physical host perform both roles for NFS storage?
Yes.
joshuas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua S

Post by joshuas »

Thank you both - so I can in fact use one physical server for both the proxy and gateway roles, but I should essentially combine the hardware requirements of a gateway and proxy server in the build?

I was considering two physical proxy/gateways, with dual 12-core CPUs and 128GB RAM each. Does this sound suitable for running 20 tasks each, for a total of 40?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Joshua,

Some sizing examples for proxy servers are outlined on this page of the best practices guide. This section provides basic information about gateway design. You can also play with VSE tool, it allows us to quickly estimate the required infrastructural resources. One more source of knowledge is our release notes, please refer to the pages 9-11.

Thanks!