Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Different compression for GFS files?

Post by namiko78 »

In the new version, will it be possible to set my GFS VBK's that are created to be uncompressed, while setting my main VBK to be compressed? I'm using windows 2012 dedup and i don't want it to dedup my main file, as i've seen issues on merge while it's in this state. (is that just me, or are other people not having that issue) I also don't want it to be slow on merge.

OR perhaps in the next version, store my GFS in a separate spot then my main VBK? That way i can exclude the folder from the dedup settings.

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Different compression for GFS files?

Post by foggy »

Steven, within the upcoming scale-out backup repository functionality you will be able to assign full backups to one repository and increments to another. One of them can have decompress setting enabled, if required.
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Post by namiko78 »

I'd heard of that option, but not sure how that would apply to my question, unless you can specify a different repository for GFS backups?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

GFS backups are always full backups, so if you use the "performance" policy in Scale-out backup repository, all GFS files will be stored in the same "extent" (the name of a single repository part of the scale-out), and you can apply the option suggested by Alexander to just that repository, and still have the other regular retention in another extent (actually, the initial full of the regular chain will be stored and deduped, but all the following incrementals will go into a different repository).

Have a look here for additional info:
http://www.veeam.com/videos/backup-job- ... -6950.html

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1