Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
timvincent
Lurker
Liked: never

direct san access mode fails

Post by timvincent »

I have read all the stickys and searched the forums without finding an answer.

I cannot configure my backup to use direct san access,
I read that the backup server must be on the san fabric to use this but I cannot understand how to configure this? Im guessing that something in my esx networking is not setup correctly for this but I cannot think of what I’m missing.
I need some expert advice on what I need to do please?
My setup is listed below.

VEEAM backup and replication 5.0
Vsphere 4.1.0
Esxi 4.1.0
3 esxi servers dell poweredge 2950
Two Dell (EMC)ax4-5i san
Backup server is vm server 2008 R2

Ip address of esx servers:
xx.xx.121.210
xx.xx.121.211
xx.xx.121.212

Ip address of san:
xx.xx.121.213
xx.xx.121.214

San, navisphere express Under Iscsi tab I have four sp ports of which the ip addresses are:
=================================================

Backup vm server has to virtual nics, one of which had ip address on 121 segment and I have tried configuring the other with address on 192 segment but regardless I cannot ping the 192 san addresses but I CAN ping the xx.xx.121.213 and 214 san address

When I configure iscsi initiator using any of the addresses I get “connection failed”
Shogan

Re: direct san access mode fails

Post by Shogan »

Although we don't use Direct SAN mode ourselves, from what I understand, you need a Physical Veeam Backup server for this to work, with a direct connection to your SAN for SAN mode to work. In your description you mention your Veeam B&R server is a VM, so this should be the issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: direct san access mode fails

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Shogan wrote:Although we don't use Direct SAN mode ourselves, from what I understand, you need a Physical Veeam Backup server for this to work, with a direct connection to your SAN for SAN mode to work.
FC SAN do require physical server for direct SAN access. However, in case of iSCSI SAN, you can use direct SAN access mode from within VM (via Software iSCSI Initiator). Quite popular approach among our customers, too!
timvincent wrote:When I configure iscsi initiator using any of the addresses I get “connection failed”
Unfortunately, It's hard to say why you have this error message (assuming that you can ping SAN address from the backup server), you need to review your network map more carefully.

By the way have you considered switching to Virtual Appliance backup mode, as it will give you the same performance compared to SAN mode in a virtual machine (just make sure you grant backup server with 4 vCPUs).