Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

disable endless backup merge

Post by real_tarantoga »

hello,
since update 3a the backup jobs are never ending. in fact we have no more actual backups. many jobs were stopped, backup service broke three times and i'm sure we are no more able to garantee healthy system restores.
i did understand what gostev wrote about the vmware sdk bug. but at the moment i'm not able to roll back and i need a way to stop 20 hours or more merging process.

i can't see an option to do that. "incremental" and "reverse incremental" are both merging.

thank you for any help!
stefan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: disable endless backup merge

Post by Gostev »

Hello, Stefan. After over 100K downloads since its release, there are no known issues with Update 3a that would fit the description above. Please let me know your support case ID, so that we could take a closer look. Thanks!
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

Hello Gostev,

You are right. The combination of slower hotadds and the persistent issue of very slow merge process on SCSI-attached NetApp backup Storage (that we were not aware of!) has essentially increased the job runtime.

I've noticed Your release of KB2711 - so I will apply the hotfix. And we have to analyze where "the storage brakes" are put on ... ;)

Regards, Stefan
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga » 1 person likes this post

Just for thread completion: it seems that we had massively fragmented backup chains. For immediate backup/restore availability I've started completely new backup chains for the concerned jobs.
And (I wasn't aware of the importance) I will configure monthly full backups for the "forever forward incremental" backup jobs.

Thank you,
Stefan