Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

disc2vhd - application aware processing fail

Post by frankive »

Has anyone any problems with P2V virtual machines and application aware processing?
I have virtualized a few machines with the disc2vhd from sysinternals, but on those virtual machines the application aware processing fail if i enable. This happens in separated enviroments too with different Vms. It is 2008 R2 and SBS 2011 VMS.

I also have a open case on this try to troubleshooting if it could be related to VSS, but so far no good after about a week with troubleshooting.
Case # 00561127
frankive
Service Provider

Re: disc2vhd - application aware processing fail

Post by frankive »

anyone seen the same behavior? Been working with the veeam support team for 3 months on the issue, but we still cant find out what is causing this.
I can also reproduce this by doing a disk2vhd for 2008 R2 and SBS 2011 operatingsystems.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please try any other tool to convert physical server to virtual? That would help to isolate the issue to either disc2vhd or to converted VMs themselves.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also because I've run a ton of P2V using VMware Converter for example and I've never had any problem with the final VM I created.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Thanks, I will definelately try to do p2v with vmware converter, I remember I have used that before. Dont know why I started to use the disc2vhd, but since I am facing the issue I have no choise to leave it. :)

Unfortunelately this will not help my existing few clients I have P2V since they have been running on these VMs for a couple of months now.

Hopefully the veeam support team will find out what could cause this eventually. It is pretty simple Vms with Exchange, so I have enabled circular logging for now to maintenance the logs, but in the length it is not an optimal solution in case the db should be corrupted and I cannot rollback the logs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

While support team is investigating, you can stick to crash consistent backup. I believe that almost anyone agrees that crash consistent backup is better that no backup at all. Thanks.