Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yuvalcohen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: yuval cohen

disk space getting low

Post by yuvalcohen »

on one of our host the disk storege is getting low of space so i copy one vm to other host
i see the folder at the vm backup and replication
but at the host i can not see it what have i done worng ?
i saw that the disk storege at the target host is reduse at the size of the vm .
so i try to migrete but on the web thier was an option to not delete the source after a good migration so i did not do
it i have veam 6 .
and esxi 5
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: disk space getting low

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Yuval,
Could you specify how you copied the VM? Did you use vSphere vMotion or Veeam`s Quick Migration mechanism?
Is it visible in vSphere now?
By the way, we`ve just released new version of Veeam B&R (version8), so v6 is no longer under support. If you are on an active maintenance, you can easily upgrade to version 7 or 8 free of charge. Thanks.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Yuval,

Try to "browse" the Datastore on the Targethost. Maybe you just have to register the vm by ricght clicking the .vmx file -> register...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you've used file copy jobs, then you need to register the VM in question manually via vSphere Client. Quick Migration job should not need this action though...
yuvalcohen
Influencer

Post by yuvalcohen »

well i did like this open vm backup and repliction click on copy chos the vm i what to copy and to where i whant deffrent host
and finish
after is done and finished i opened the vmhost with VMware vSphere Client i did not see the name of the mchine i copy .But when i did refresh on the disk the free size was gon down shcuch as the size of the copied one
.when i borwes with backup and replication i see folder named the same name of the vm machine on the new host
so i see on tjhe old host the vm that works and at the new host i see only the folder
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have you registered VM, using vSphere client, after copying VM files? Thanks.
yuvalcohen
Influencer

Post by yuvalcohen »

well thanks it word thanks to your support !!
i have no idea about the regstered thing
now can can not test if all working. but if someone change somthing on the orginal wnm at the org host i can still copy or have to deled the vm from the new host copy agine and register ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No need to delete the VM, files will be overwritten if you perform the copy operation again. Could you please clarify your final goal, are you trying to migrate the VM to the new location?
yuvalcohen
Influencer

Post by yuvalcohen »

yes we/want to migrate the vm from host a to host b. i was warried that if some thing gos worang i wil loss bout the source and the target vm .just like copy paste and cut and paste
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then consider using replication jobs for that. After performing permanent failover to a replica VM, you can make sure that everything works properly and only after that remove the source VM.
yuvalcohen
Influencer

Post by yuvalcohen »

ok we just finished copy and do som tests
hope work well
if we use replica we in a need to delted the target host and start from the start
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can leave the copied VM in this particular case, if everything is ok. I've just mentioned this as an alternative for future migrations.
yuvalcohen
Influencer

Post by yuvalcohen »

well it seems to be working just fine.
But i have other problem with it
i have done something worng i guess . i have some vms folders withe the same name like serverx serverx1 serverx1 at the (veam backup and replcation )how i know witch server is the good one?
at the vsph clent i see only one at inventory . but when i cilick on the Datastore and browse it i see the two folders.
serverx serverx1. the server is workin fine but i do not knoew what is the working server an what is the not good one. and the second thing when i what to do replica of this server i klick the replication. chose the vm to replicate chose the target host and the datadtore to replicate to. so the summery is good ' it shows me what i whant to do. but when i save it click finish. and click once more it changes the vm name to replicate and so on
i whant to boot the host hope it helps
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yuval,
i have some vms folders withe the same name like serverx serverx1 serverx1
vSphere does not allow to create folders with identical names and VBR collects infrastructure from vSphere, check how they are different.
but when i save it click finish. and click once more it changes the vm name to replicate and so on
Do you mean, when you start the job, VBR replicates another VM(not the one you set)?
Note that VBR adds to the name of the replication VM suffix. By default it`s _replica.
Thanks.
yuvalcohen
Influencer

Post by yuvalcohen »

the job
Type: VMware Replica
Source items:
PanWeb (192.168.1.31)
Replica destination:
Host: 192.168.1.84
Resource pool: Resources
VM folder: vm
Datastore: datastore2
Replica suffix: _replica
Restore points to keep: 7
Source proxies: Automatic selection
Target proxies: Automatic selection

Repository for replica metadata: Default Backup Repository (host: This server, path: c:\backup)

Command line: "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe" backup 6382865d-dc8e-42c6-b433-9b4018b1e753
i click finish
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

that what i get whe i open the saved work (the same)

Name: panweb
Type: VMware Replica
Source items:
NewPan (192.168.1.31)
Replica destination:
Host: 192.168.1.84
Resource pool: Resources
VM folder: vm
Datastore: datastore2
Replica suffix: _replica
Restore points to keep: 7
Source proxies: Automatic selection
Target proxies: Automatic selection

Repository for replica metadata: Default Backup Repository (host: This server, path: c:\backup)

Command line: "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe" backup 6382865d-dc8e-42c6-b433-9b4018b1e753

Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That`s unexpected behavior that VBR changes source in a job.
There might be some address resolution problems. I would suggest you to contact technical support team for infrastructure and logs investigation.
Thanks.