Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Re: Does anyone have replication with Veeam6 functional?

Post by J1mbo »

The primary suspect has to be the site interconnect. FWIW, I'd create a secondary "site" at the primary site with a test ESXi host and route it's management interfaces via a 10Mbps switch (or so-configured NICs) so the WAN link is eliminated from the troubleshooting. If that works, introduce a SonicWall (I think you said) instead of the router and see what happens, then try with two and so on. Hope that helps.
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Post by vertices »

J1mbo I think you may be correct. Last night I disabled the WAN accelerators and had a perfect run. We put them in a couple months back and had no problem with them using Veeam5. However Veeam6 with it's different architecture seems to not be so happy with the SonicWALL WXA accelerators. I'm going to leave the acceleration off for a week or so to make sure that really is the culprit.

The other thing that's odd is that prior to using a physical proxy, I had a virtual proxy and did turn off the WXAs but I still had errors. All I know right now is that using a physical proxy and turning off WXA provides my greatest chance at having a perfect run.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

v6 traffic pattern has changed dramatically, so may be this makes SonicWALL WXA go crazy, I do not know. Just TCP/IP multithreading alone is a big change from v5. We have not seen any issues with other WAN accelerators, however we also found that, due to all the WAN optimizations v6 brings, those accelerators typically do not provide any additional benefit anyway.
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Post by vertices »

Another perfect run last night without accelerators. Lord Veeam6 is so much faster than 5 when you get it running. We've really seen an 80% reduction replication time. And yes Gostev the accelerators don't seem to do anything to improve Veeam6 traffic so excluding that traffic shouldn't be a big deal.

Hopefully this thread can give others some ideas of things to look at if they run into issues.

It was a hard road, but I do really like Veeam6.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

So I've also had a report of WAN replication failing with v6 with Riverbed accelerators. Unless the accelerators are there for the sole purpose of accelerating replicaiton traffic I generally recommend that users configure their WAN acceleration to bypass the traffic as otherwise the replication traffic will fill up the cache with lots of Veeam compressed data and thus actual users will see less performance.

For environments that have dedicated WAN accelerators specifically for replication (for example, DC to DC), if you want the WAN accelerators to provide any benefit at all you have to disable Veeam compression (or at least set low compression) as the compressed traffic will not be able to be compressed/deduped by the WAN accelerator. Also, it's generally better to actually disable the multiple TCP connections and allow the WAN accelerator to optimize the link.

I have still seen WAN acceleration provide some benefit with v6 replication in certain circumstances, especially cases where customer are replicating a few hundred VMs that are very similar since the WAN accelerator can dedupe/cache similar packets across VMs, however, disabling compression (or at least setting the low compression) is an absolute must to get this benefit.