Does deleting a backup job delete restore points?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Does deleting a backup job delete restore points?

Veeam Logoby mbetro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:15 pm

I have a backup job consisting of 2 servers for which I am zipping each. I am then going to delete each server. I have two questions
1. Will deleting the backup job delete all of each servers restore points?
2. If the restore points aren't deleted will they be eliminated over time by our retention rule?
mbetro
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Betro

Re: Does deleting a backup job delete restore points?

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:52 pm

mbetro wrote:1. Will deleting the backup job delete all of each servers restore points?

No, deleting the job will not delete the restore points, in the Backups node those restore points will move to "Imported" since they no longer have a job associated with them.

mbetro wrote:2. If the restore points aren't deleted will they be eliminated over time by our retention rule?

No, retention rules are defined in the job, once you delete the job, there are no retention rules, the restore points will stay on disk until they are manually deleted from the Backups node in the Veeam GUI.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1821 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Does deleting a backup job delete restore points?

Veeam Logoby WRS2200 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:04 am

I can confirm this. One of my colleagues accidentally deleted a job from our clients Veeam server. I helped him find the restore points that were associated with that job. This was after I was able to calm him down while he was in the midst of a quick freak out session haha.

Thanks.
WRS2200
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Weston Strom

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication