Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
samuk
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Doing a SAN Backup using VCB.

Post by samuk »

New to Veeam Backup, have not really been able to speak to Veeam yet for help..Looked at the getting started guied but i dont really see what i need to know..

Currently backuping up over the network...taking 6+ hours..so i need to change this to SAN based backups using VCB.

So how do i configure this?

We have 4 ESX 3.5 Servers and VC Server.

Currently i have a server that does not have SAN access, this is where Veeam backup is installed.

Am i ok to this i need to SAN attached Windows Server with the ESX LUNS mapped to this server? If this is the case do i map these LUNS as read only...as the server is Windows..

Any help appriciated.

--Sam
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Doing a SAN Backup using VCB.

Post by Gostev »

Hello Sam,

Basically, you need 2 things:

1. Windows server connected directly into SAN fabric via an HBA adaptor.
2. VMware Consolidated Backup installed on it (best is to refer to VMware documentation for installation and configuration).

From Veeam Backup side, there is nothing needs to be done. As soon as Veeam Backup detects that VCB is installed on your server, it will enable the corresponding option for you on the second step of the backup wizard (option to use VCB). Other than that, you will not have to do anything at all - integration is totally transparent.

Thanks!
samuk
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Re: Doing a SAN Backup using VCB.

Post by samuk »

Ah ok, as i thought its a Vmware thing..