Liked: never
Full Name: Manuel Capela

Double backups

Post by mcapela »

Dear All.
first of all

Merry Chrtistmas

I have a veeam server with Veeam 6 , next year will do upgrade to 8,
my question is: can i have to different backup job saving some Virtual machine but to different repositores ?, for example one task start wirking at 8 pm, and other at 9Pm ?

thanks for all
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Double backups

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Manuel, Merry Chrtistmas!
Yes, you can have 2 backup jobs to make backups to different repos, but it`s recommended to backup once and use backup copy job to copy existing backup files. This way you don`t need to take snapshot second time, process etc.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Hello Manuel and Merry Christmas!
If you talking about VMware then yes, you can have two backup servers, even with different versions to backup the same VM.
The only thing you should be aware of: it is better to make sure jobs does not overlap, or there could be a problem with simultaneous snapshotting.
mcapela
Influencer

Post by mcapela »

Hello

Sorry but i forgot to tell i use a hyper-v cluster
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That doesn't make any difference. Hyper-V has the same logic in this case
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Actually, it does.
If you want to have two backup servers of the same version, it will work.
If you want to have two backup servers of different version, for example V6 and V8, this two servers cannot have same host in Hyper-V inventory, since it is necessary to set up Veeam components on that host, and components from different versions are not compatible.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

nefes, you are correct, but I`m not sure OP is going to use 2 backup servers at the same time.
mcapela wrote:I have a veeam server with Veeam 6 , next year will do upgrade to 8
The question was if he simply can have 2 backup jobs making backups to different repositories.
Manuel, could you clarify your question, please? Thanks!
mcapela
Influencer

Post by mcapela »

Hello and I happy new year.
Actually I have a hyper-v cluster running in w2008r2, in this cluster I have 7 VM working.
My backup server have Windows 2008r2 and is running veeam b&r version 6 , only On March of 2016 I will migrate to version 8, This backup server is the main repositories.
Now I have a new hp storage msa2040 and I won't to use this space to have another repository to backup my VM.
So what I won't is do a backup of my VM's to main repository and when this backup job finish start other backup job of the same VM's to the new repository in HP Msa.
The HO MSA is connected directly to a HP 380 Server, so I have added the disk available in 380 to the B&r server , so my server of veeam had Main repo and the new repo
I only have one veeam backup server (version 6) but added different repository from different location in different servers added to infrastructure

Is this correct ?

Just another, probably stupid question, what is the difference between synthetic full backups and active full backup ?
Need to be done the both ? In which circumstances ?

Thank you .
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're totally fine doing two backup jobs of the same VMs to different repositories within a single Veeam B&R server, no issues with that (they will even handle overlap automatically, so the second one will wait for the first one to finish). Just keep in mind that both jobs will create VM snapshots, so if touching production VMs twice a day is not desired, you can use some third-party tools to sync backup files to a second location instead.

Please refer to this user guide section for description of both active and synthetic fulls and to this thread for recommendations on their frequency.