Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tl_byte
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tze Liang

Double replication: VM->Replica(locally)->Replica(Remote)

Post by tl_byte »

Just wonder if Veeam supports chained replication?
e.g., Have a VM replicated to another ESX host (let's call it Vault host) located locally, and then replicate the replica sitting on the Vault host to an ESX host at another site over the WAN.

The reason for this is so that we can get really fast replication happening locally and stored at an ESX host during after hour, and start replicating from that ESX host to a remote ESX host at anytime (so we are not impacting on the production ESX host or SAN.)

Cheers,
TL
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Double replication: VM->Replica(locally)->Replica(Remote)

Post by Gostev »

Hello, here's existing thread with the exact same scenario and question answered: Replicate a replica?
Although I think I can see one potential issue with one specific replication mode, but let me verify this first.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, the only issue to consider is that you will not be able to leverage changed block tracking for the second job (job that replicates replica). But for your scenario this may not be a problem, because the second job runs off non-production ESX anyway, so extra load on storage while scanning VM image for changed blocks may be OK?
tl_byte
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tze Liang

Post by tl_byte »

Ok, without changed block tracking should be okay I guess.
I presume that for this to work, the job has to happen sequentially? i.e., Can we not have VM->replica and replica->replica_remote running simulataneously?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Tze Liang,

Yes, you should separate VM->replica and replica->replica_remote jobs, so they are not running at the same time.