Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
surfingoncloud
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Snapshot

DR Connection from two servers connected via VPN

Post by surfingoncloud »

Hi Geeks,

I need to setup a DR connection from one of our clients to our Veeam Cloud Server.

We have a VPN Connection from the Cloud to the client already. I need to setup, configure and test DR replication.

We want to process the VMs of the Client already on one of our cloud servers. Our client should be able to manage the jobs and start it, if the Cloud server goes down the server should replicate the VMs to another Veeam Server which is offsite connected via VPN. If the cloud server goes up again the changes should be transferred to the cloud server again. (Failover back)

We host a Veeam Server for them in a cloud but we can't give them access to it because there are a couple of backup jobs for us inside of the VM.

I need to give them rights that they can configure replication of their VMs of the cloud site to their main site. How can I give them that access in the best way that they only can do it for their VMs and that they cant see all the VMs / hosts? I think I can do that over cloud connect but then I have to install cloud connect on the Cloud Veeam server or can that be done over our Veeam Cloud connect server which is there already? But it is non of these two servers.

How do I set that up in the best case I have never done that before would it be possible to get help for that or a pointer in the right direction?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: DR Connection from two servers connected via VPN

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Tim

Cloud Connect infrastructure is installed on the service provider's (target) site, which means for this scenario you would have to install at the Client, so it's not a good idea. And regardless, it won't help you to achieve what you want: give them access only to their own VMs running on your hosts.

I think best you can do is set up vSphere Self-Service Backup Portal. This supports backup only though, no replication.

Thanks!
surfingoncloud
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Snapshot

Re: DR Connection from two servers connected via VPN

Post by surfingoncloud »

Okay what I want to do is the following I need an automatical process for that.

Servers:
Cloud-Veeam - (Processes couple of VMs)
Clients Veeam - (Processes Clients VMs)

I need to set up a trust between the veeam servers that if Cloud-Veeam goes down that there is an automatic process that starts the replica VMs on the client's site. So the VMs should replicate it self directly on the Clients site and if Cloud-Veeam has a problem they should directly start as a failover on the Clients site, if it is reachable in the cloud again it should start it there and transfer the changes.

Is this possible?