Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cmorris05
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Morris

DR for Veeam

Post by cmorris05 » 1 person likes this post

I know this has been asked a bunch of times, but I have not seen this exact scenario.

We have 2 sites, each with a HyperV cluster, both are running production workloads. At site A we have our Veeam Server which is currently doing backups and testing replication to Site B, this server is also a repository server as it uses an iSCSI connection to the SAN. At Site B we have a Veeam repository pointed to a second iSCSI SAN. I have backups being sent to one side, then copied to the other with a backup copy job.

I was wondering the best way to recover from a failure on one of our sites. My thought was to set up the repository server at site B as a second Veeam Server and let it handle the replication only. I am not sure how the licensing works for that though. If we did that would the licensing cover it? Would the two servers be linked somehow? How does that work?

The other thought I had was just to use Veeam to replicate itself from site A to site B. Would this be a better way of doing it?
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: DR for Veeam

Post by DaveWatkins » 2 people like this post

You can do that, licensing is per CPU, so as long as all your CPU's are already licensed you can run as many servers as you like. Personally I replicate my Veeam B&R server to my DR site so if i need too I can power it up if the main site is down and just fix it's IP. I have physical proxies and repo's on each site but keeping the actual B&R a VM allows me to replicate it.

The other option is to just build a new server utilizing the configuration backup. I've always stayed away from running 2 servers since no there really is no linking except if you're using enterprise manager. The servers themselves aren't aware of each other and it makes upgrading more complicated as they all need to stay in sync since they will share proxies and repos
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My thought was to set up the repository server at site B as a second Veeam Server and let it handle the replication only.
Set up additional backup server at Site B and let it orchestrate either everything or replication activities only. That's a preferable approach, indeed.
If we did that would the licensing cover it? Would the two servers be linked somehow?
They won't be linked, but since you're protecting the very same VMs, single license can be shared between two backup servers.
rome1423
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by rome1423 »

Hi I also has questions on this similar environment I am about to setup:
2 sites:
Site A Prod (vsphere cluster of 2 ESXi servers) with existing Physical VB&R v9.0.0.1491 (Enterprise) using Built-in SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express (BkpSvr-A), use DAS storage for repository.
Site B DR (vsphere) : To setup New DR Site B with new Physical VB&R (same version as PROD) using Built-in SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express (BkpSvr-B), also use DAS storage for repository. Planned purpose of BkpSvr-B is for VM Replication from Site A. Currently has 8 VMs in site A to replicate.
There will be MPLS direct link between sites A & B.
Questions:
1. How do I assess the bandwidth needed for the Replication traffic ? I need info to apply for MPLS service.
2. the 2 VB&R BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B cannot share Veeam components like proxies, repositories right? But use common Veeam license?
3. Do I have to deploy 1 or more additional Proxies in Site A for BkpSvr-B to manage and do the replication?
4. For DR Drill when whole site A unavailable, to use BkpSvr-B to do failover and start-up 8 VMs in site B. So this is considered Forced Failover without additional data sync from site A?
5. Any advice or best practice guide for this kind of 2 Backup servers scenario?

thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

1. How do I assess the bandwidth needed for the Replication traffic ? I need info to apply for MPLS service.
The best option would be to run test replication cycles and see how much traffic is generated.
2. the 2 VB&R BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B cannot share Veeam components like proxies, repositories right? But use common Veeam license?
Components can be shared between two backup servers. However, one backup server won't be aware of the settings specified on another backup server, such maximum concurrent task number, etc.
3. Do I have to deploy 1 or more additional Proxies in Site A for BkpSvr-B to manage and do the replication?
No, you don't.
4. For DR Drill when whole site A unavailable, to use BkpSvr-B to do failover and start-up 8 VMs in site B.
Correct.
5. Any advice or best practice guide for this kind of 2 Backup servers scenario?
We seem to have covered it all.
rome1423
Influencer

Post by rome1423 »

Components can be shared between two backup servers. However, one backup server won't be aware of the settings specified on another backup server, such maximum concurrent task number, etc.
- Do you mean:
i. BkpSvr-B can add the site A repository of BkpSvr-A to use for VM Backup Copy jobs, Replication jobs (use VM backups as Source) ?
ii. BkpSvr-B can also add and manage BkpSvr-A's same proxy servers into its own config, and use it for VM Backup Copy, Replication jobs ?
I thought that will cause conflict if both BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B access the same components , especially use them at same time, can you confirm that? Any Veeam document on this setup?
No, you don't.
- Ya if Veeam Components can be shared between two backup servers eg use same Proxy server then no need to deploy additional Proxies in Site A for BkpSvr-B..but pls confirm on Point 2 above.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

- Do you mean:
The same backup proxy or repository server can be added to multiple backup servers. However, on each backup server it will have a different configuration settings.
i. BkpSvr-B can add the site A repository of BkpSvr-A to use for VM Backup Copy jobs, Replication jobs (use VM backups as Source) ?
Correct, however, backup server #2 won't be able to leverage files residing in this repository as a source for backup copy jobs (unless certain workarounds are leveraged).
ii. BkpSvr-B can also add and manage BkpSvr-A's same proxy servers into its own config, and use it for VM Backup Copy, Replication jobs ?
Correct.
I thought that will cause conflict if both BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B access the same components , especially use them at same time, can you confirm that?
The conflicts might arise during backup server update. Say, a proxy server gets updated during backup server #1 upgrade and cannot be longer managed by backup server #2 due to having higher component version.

Due to this fact and general unawareness among backup servers, that is considered a recommended approach.
Any Veeam document on this setup?
I don't think such document exists, but you can search through this forum - the setup has been discussed before.
rome1423
Influencer

Post by rome1423 »

Correct, however, backup server #2 won't be able to leverage files residing in this repository as a source for backup copy jobs (unless certain workarounds are leveraged).
a. How do we enable backup server #2 to leverage files residing in BkpSvr-A repository as a source for backup copy jobs?
I thought about getting BkpSvr-A to create a repository in Site B to use for BkpSvr-A backup copy jobs, then to let BkpSvr-B to use this Backup copies to do VM replication in Site B...any advice?

b. Can we create a File/Folder copy job to copy all the BkpSvr-A repository files/folder to BkpSvr-B repository, then let BkpSvr-B to use the copied files as source for VM replication job?

c. Will the File copy job only copy the difference between source and target repository folder to reduce WAN traffic?

Or any better suggestion to implement the Backup Copy or File Copy, Replication in this scenario is welcomed.
thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Or any better suggestion to implement the Backup Copy or File Copy, Replication in this scenario is welcomed.
The scenario described by you (though possible) looks overcomplicated. The best idea would be to stick to one backup server installed remotely and control everything from it. Thanks.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

DaveWatkins wrote:You can do that, licensing is per CPU, so as long as all your CPU's are already licensed you can run as many servers as you like. Personally I replicate my Veeam B&R server to my DR site so if i need too I can power it up if the main site is down and just fix it's IP. I have physical proxies and repo's on each site but keeping the actual B&R a VM allows me to replicate it.

The other option is to just build a new server utilizing the configuration backup. I've always stayed away from running 2 servers since no there really is no linking except if you're using enterprise manager. The servers themselves aren't aware of each other and it makes upgrading more complicated as they all need to stay in sync since they will share proxies and repos
Dave, how do you replicate the Veeam Backup VM ? are you using the Veeam Replication or vSphere Replication to do that?
So the DR site Veeam is offline until you need it to turn it on :?:
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins » 2 people like this post

Using Veeam to replicate itself, and yes, offsite. If anything happens I'd need to manually power up the VM and change it's IP since I wouldn't be able to run the built in failover, but if we lose our core site for anything that requires me to break out the backups en-mass, that'll be the least of my worries ;)
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Nice strategy :D
so I assume after the DR testing, you just delete the Veeam Replicated VM and let the new replication re-seed the VM again ?
--
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

No, it's just keeps replicating always so in a real emergency it will be there available with minimal work
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Ah I see,
so whatever changes that you made in the Replicated DR VM, it will be overwritten by the next interval of Veeam Replication from production ?
--
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

Ahh, right it was specifically about DR testing. I typically roll it back to the previous snapshot afterwards
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

DaveWatkins wrote:Ahh, right it was specifically about DR testing. I typically roll it back to the previous snapshot afterwards
Cool, thanks for the sharing Dave.
--
markotsg
Novice
Full Name: Marko Tomic

[MERGED] Veeam Replication server - DR

Post by markotsg »

Hello

We have Veeam backup server, backing up VMs to local servers and from local servers to Cloud.
We are in the process of setting up a new site (DR)
We are planing to replicate our servers to DR site (stretched VLAN)

Ideally we would like to keep the costs down but have as much fail-over seamless as possible

What are the best practices and opinion for DR, would you split the replication role and set up a new server in DR site to be responsible and always on (to control the replication)?
That way in the event primary site down, we can easily failover? I believe extra licences are required per protected replicated server?
any tips would be appreciated

thanks all
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Replication server - DR

Post by foggy »

Hi Marko, your undesrtanding is correct, it is a best practice to place the backup server responsible for replication in the DR site, to allow for automatic failover. You can have two of them controlled by the Enterprise Manager or switch to a single remote one. Extra licenses are not required provided you're protecting the same VMs. Thanks!
markotsg
Novice

Post by markotsg »

thank you very much so if we have original Backup server in production site responsible for currently backing up VMs (lets say vm1 vm2 vm3), we can build additional backup server in dr site to manage repliaction of vm1,vm2, vm3 without any additional licences?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct, because you're licensing source VMs and not the VBR server.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Marco,

I've moved your post to the existing topic.
Just to add - you can check this thread for the detailed description of the similar cases.

Thanks!
adrian138
Influencer
Full Name: adrian reinhard

[MERGED] Physical Veeam Server - DR

Post by adrian138 »

Hi There,

We have a physical Veeam Backup Server (Backup & Replication v10).
The Server backup its self through Agent every morning.

Cause the Server is a Single Point of Failure i like to replicate the Sever to a Disaster Recovery Site, is this possible?

Thanks for your help,

Adrian
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Adrian,

I've moved your post to the existing topic with the discussions on B&R server replication to DR site, please take a look.
You can also find useful info about the licenses here.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's annother existing thread discussing similar questions.
markotsg
Novice

Post by markotsg »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Aug 21, 2020 2:12 pm Yes, that's correct, because you're licensing source VMs and not the VBR server.

HM, slightly confused, this is what i received from Veeam
"
Replication won't consume license instances as long as a VM is considered protected.
However if the Replication Job is configured on the DR site and on the DR Backup Server you don't have the VM in a Backup Job, Veeam will consume instances in order to protect this VM as well.
"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 2 people like this post

Yes, the statement above is correct. Veeam backup server will always consume a license instance when using backup/replication jobs, regardless of how many backup servers you're using.

This thread should be helpful, please take a look > FAQ: Licensing
markotsg
Novice

Post by markotsg »

ok so in our case if backup server (Physical server) is at site A and it backs up vm1, we can set the replication at site A without any additional licences
but if we want to build another backup server at site B and replicate vm1, we will need additional licence?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, additional licenses will not be needed. Backup server (A) will consume a license and if you have Backup server (B) installed with the same key, it will also consume a license. To make sure your two backup servers (running the same license key) do not exceed the allowed license limit, you need to install Eneterpirse Manager which will track license usage across two backup servers.