Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
levibeckner
Novice
Liked: never

DR Implementation of Backup Server

Post by levibeckner »

I am trying to figure out deployment of Veeam Backup Server and Enterprise server.

I have a primary and an alternate data center. I need to be able to recover Veeam Replicas and Backups that were created from an OPS based Veeam backup system.

1 - How do I implement a primary and a backup Veeam Backup servers?

2 - How do I handle failover testing of the entire data center? I know I could do something like assured recovery testing for each backed up component/system, but if I actually want to operate from my DR data center as part of a controlled fail-over and fail-back, how to I fail back to the Primary data center?

Thanks,

Levi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: DR Implementation of Backup Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Levi,

I'm not sure I got your question about primary and backup Veeam B&R server, could you please clarify?

For the failback you can either setup a replication job to replicate your currently active VM back to the production site or undo failover via Veeam Backup console (all changes will be discarded).

On top of that, have you had a chance to review our F.A.Q. section?

Thank you.
levibeckner
Novice

Post by levibeckner »

Vitaliy, I reviewed the FAQ, but did not read the entire contents. My answer may well be there.

I am using Veeam Backup as a part of my disaster recovery solution, so I have my critical systems set up with Veeam replica's or backups from my primary data center to my alternate (DR) data center. If I lose my primary data center (flood, fire, SAN failure, what ever) then I will need to come on-line in my DR center.

Here is what I am trying to figure out:
If I lose my primary data center then I will no longer have the VM based Veeam backup server that creates and manages my replicas and backups that are stored at my DR data center. How to I bring those replica systems into production if I lose my Veeam Backup Server?

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can just power them on using vSphere Client and that's it. As for the backup files you can deploy another Veeam Backup server, import backup files to the console and peform Instant VM Recovery/ FLR / Restore Entire VM operations. Does this answer your question?
levibeckner
Novice

Post by levibeckner »

Yes, that is what I needed to know, thanks!