Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sleander
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Leander

DR site options / best practices

Post by sleander »

I have VBR running on a 2022 server hosted on VMware 7.x on an HP DL380G9 server. I have another G9 in the same cabinet, they are interconnected using a pair of 10G switches. VBR is backing up about 10-12 vm's - Windows and linux servers.

I have another site about 10 miles away connected via a 1G network, and have another G9 there, currently it's hosting a couple of Veeam replicated servers.

Both sites have Synology NASs, the vbr server backs up to the local NAS, and an backup-copy job replicates the backups to the offsite NAS, as well as to a aws immutable store.

Looking for how I should best approach using the offsite location for a DR site. I currently have 2 critical servers replicating there, but would like to host a vbr instance there prepped to do local restores if needed. Does the licensing allow for that? Just looking for ideas/options on how to best utilise this site. We will be upgrading the link to 10G soon as well. Orchestrator looks to be more than I really need, I just want to be able to start a failover and restores at my remote site when needed.

Thanks!

Steve
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: DR site options / best practices

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the plan sounds good. If you use the second VBR server only for restore, then licensing is not needed. Veeam only charges for backup. Not for restore.

If the second VBR server should also do backups, then the easiest way for licensing is to add Enterprise Manager in one of the locations. Then Enterprise Manager is distributing licenses.

Best regards,
Hannes
sleander
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Leander

Post by sleander »

OK, I have a Windows 11 workstation setup as a VM at my "DR site", with local access to the backup copy job's backups from the primary site. Veeam is installed.

I'd like to do some restore tests - should I restore the backup config file from the actual backup server to this restore machine? Do something else? I figure a best practice has got to be documented somewhere... thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for restore, a configuration restore is not needed. Just import the files (or double-click) and you are good to go

In case of a disaster, my understanding is, that your infrastructure changes completely. So doing a configuration restore would result in much manual work. So starting from scratch again sounds easiest for me.

Best regards,
Hannes